Shipped Egg Disaster????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlechicklet, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlechicklet

littlechicklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    I would like opinions on how you would handle this situation please. I ordered hatching eggs from a breeder and the eggs I received are disgusting. I have contacted the breeder but have yet to get a reply. I ordered 1 dozen eggs and they were shipped from CA to TN. The communication was excellent, the packing was very good but the eggs are not usable. I keep telling myself you pay your money and take your chances but I am still disheartened to say the least. Below are pics of the eggs which included 4 extras.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and for comparison the shipped eggs above a carton of eggs from my flock that were to be set together
    [​IMG]
    Please note some of my eggs I would consider dirty & possibly not use.

Thanks for any replies, advice, suggestions, etc.

ETA: this is the first time I have ever bought hatching eggs and may very well be the last time.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I'd have a hard time staying polite. Anyone who breeds chickens ought to know that isn't quality hatching eggs.

3. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    thanks. I would not even consider them for eating and if I am not willing to eat it I am NOT going to try to hatch it.

4. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    Wow. I'd be some sort of ****** off about that! You can't set eggs that dirty. Don't give up. Keep trying to get in contact with them. Was it on eBay? What were their reviews like?

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Those look like they were packed by someone that just got done checking a cow for pregnancy...

1 person likes this.
  6. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    Thank you. No these were not purchase through ebay or from anyone that I am aware of on byc but they have a beautiful website.

I have received 2 emails. Here is what I was told and I will post if I get my refund:

email #1

I would be happy to send you a cleaner dozen. To me some are "moderately" dirty, the rest are fine. The brown ones shown are near-perfect. I have received much dirtier and have hatched much dirtier, as have my local "chicken friends" and we all have been hatching for years. I don't usually notice a difference in hatchability unless they are very muddy or have gotten wet, (which these have not), but if you are unhappy I can send fresh cleaner ones. You can always put them in and see how they develop or use a hatching egg wash. I have found if you just leave them alone you have a greater hatch rate than washing though. Sorry you are unhappy~ myself, friends, and customers have never had problems hatching them, nor have I ever had anyone say anything about hatching eggs like this.

Just let me know,

email #2

Sorry you are not happy. I will refund your money, you do not need to return the eggs. In all the years I have been doing this and hatching eggs I have honestly never had a single person say anything about or have problems hatching semi- dirty eggs. With it being early spring and the rains and such there is no way I can keep the eggs pristine. If you are dead set on hatching only perfectly pristine eggs you might want to ask before you purchase them, as most eggs I have received to hatch have been dirty, and a good percentage much dirtier than mine.

1 person likes this.
  7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have never seen eggs so dirty...So whatever if they haven't ever seen cleaner eggs...those eggs look like they were rolled through piles of chicken poo.

8. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    [​IMG] thanks for bringing a good laugh about this. I really needed it.

9. littlechicklet

Apr 26, 2012
    East TN
    The only time I have ever had an egg that looked anything remotely like these is when a young pullet has left one in the run and I have not found it for MANY days. And I always throw them away when it happens.

10. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I would never consider giving those to a customer. That is just gross. I keep any egg that is dirty for my family's own use and never put those in the sell cartons. I would be very disappointed in those. I am glad she is going to give you a refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by