Shipped Egg Hatch Rates

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 18, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Ok. This Spring I will be taking the plunge into hatching eggs. I got myself a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco. I am pretty picky about how I do things, so the temps will be closely monitored and the eggs will be rotated 3 times daily on a regular schedule. I plan on having my eggs shipped to here in Maine right around the end of March.
    What I'm looking for feedback on is other peoples experience with hatch rates from shipped eggs - I understand they tend to be lower that non-shipped eggs.
    My current plan is to try and hatch 6 eggs of 4 different breeds. My goal is to get 2 pullets out of each breed taking into account Roos and unsuccessful hatches.
    If some you could chime in with a brief description of your success with shipped eggs I'd appreciate it. I may decide to go with 8 eggs each of 3 breeds.
    Anyone?
    Thanks in advance...

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've had 100% hates rates, 0% hatch rates and pretty much everywhere in between.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'm lucky to get 20-30% hatch on shipped eggs. I've had 2 batches lately with no development at all. none. I think the air cells are just too damaged and detached from rough handling.

Chicks are much more resilient than eggs. What breeds are you looking for?

I find that by the time you buy "nice" eggs, and have most of them not hatch, you end up with chicks costing $25-30+ each. Even good breeders will sell chicks for $10 or so dollars.

I'd plan on getting 1 live pullet from each dozen eggs you purchase.

You do get the rare batch of eggs when 75% hatch, but that is not the norm.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    it really is a gamble.I have one batch of 13...11 in great shape and ready for lockdwn tomorrow.
    And these eggs came from Florida to Oregon.
    Another batch of 20 and I do not think I have one egg developing.
    With my own eggs I average 65%.thankfully have a way to place my young roo's.
    Good Luck and have fun.

5. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:Same!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, i've had 85% to 10%, but this current batch may end up to be my first 0%, although a dozen of 'em are REALLY iffy, since they are Trader Joe's, refrigerated fertile eggs.... Out of 21 eggs. But one of this batch is one of my own. Ah well.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Do you think certain breeds play an influence on durability? Would my hatch rates be any better with 6 eggs of 4 breeds or 8 eggs of 3 breeds (total of 24)...
    Or does it really come down to crossing fingers and hatching the best to my ability... ??? What would you do?

8. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I'm not sure about incubating different breeds at the same time. I'm sure its been done though. Hopefully somebody will post their success rates doing that.

My first shipped eggs got me four hatches out of 14 eggs. One of those chicks died, so three living chicks from that hatch.

My second shipped eggs are in the bator in lockdown now, and I'm not counting on one hatch out of 5 remaining eggs. (They sent a dozen eggs with really bad packaging). They are green eggs, could not see inside them to save my life...looked like a mass, but that could be anything.

You have the right incubator and the right attitude, just know that stuff can go wonky with even the best of planning, so don't be too hard on yourself if it does.

One of the best things you can do if you are planning on purchasing eggs for hatching is buy them from somebody who sells quality stock and knows how to package well. Even then, it’s a risky business because they are out of everybody’s control once they leave the breeders house.

Best of luck on your future hatching!

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

x3

except I have never had a no hatch unless it was my own fault. (dropped a rack just recently and killed all the embryos growing [​IMG] )

10. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What breeds are you looking for? You might be better off ordering live chicks or starter birds. I got 24 shipped eggs and got three roos to hatch.... I quit with shipped eggs! lol Goodluck:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by