Shipped egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wegs813, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I am expecting a shipment of eggs either tomorrow or Thurs. How long am I supposed to leave the eggs sit before putting in the incubator? And do they sit at room temp or in the refrigerator? Do I need to turn them while they are out? I know that I have seen the answers on here, but now that I am looking I of course can not find them.

2. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    8-24 hours.
    Putting them in the refrigerator would kind of defeat the purpose of letting them sit...they're supposed to be at room temp so they don't get "shocked" by the incubator temp.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I leave mine out for atleast half a day.. Sometimes a full day especailly if they had to travel very far... Leave them sitting big end up, at room temperature. I don't turn them. It's best just to let them settle. Hope this helps... Good luck with your hatch!!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In my experience, when I waited 8 hours, the hatch wasn't so good. When I waited 12 it was much better. Of course, shipped eggs are a crap shoot anyways, but I thought I would share.

5. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Thanks for the quick replies....my questions have been answered.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Good luck!!! Let us know when you set them and keep us updated please. Alot of us live vicariously through others hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by