Shipped Eggs-1st time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarlieO, Jan 15, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    So I had eggs shipped for the first time. I've only ever hatched my own hens (barnyard mix) and have some questions as I now have lots of $$ invested in these eggs!:) I have 12 Wheaten/blue wheaten eggs (I drove to pick up locally), 12 Lavender Ameraucana eggs, about 8 Maran eggs and about 8 silkie eggs. So they all sat out at room temp for 24 hours (well, longer than that since I had tickets to the Seahawks game and got home late, don't judge) :)

I put them in my incubator on Sunday night. As of yesterday I had to toss 4 eggs (2 silkies, 1 Lav. Ameraucana, and 1 Maran) because they were weeping. In fact, one had broke when I tried to remove it as it was stuck to the automatic turner.

I did not candle them before putting them in the incubator as it was already late and I just wanted to get them in. It's day 3 today. Should I candle them now or wait until after day 7? On my last hatch I only candled on day 10 and 18.

I know it's a lot of 'talk' for one question but I just want to know if I should do anything different with shipped eggs vs. home-collected eggs. I know there can be issues with detached air cells; that's one reason I'm asking about whether I should candle now or be patient and wait it out.

Thanks for the help. :)

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would wait until 5 to 7 days.

3. Timba

Timba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2014
    Miami, FL
    At this point, just wait. Worse case scenario, you toss the egg. Oh and as a hopeless Miami Dolphins fan.......Go Seahawks!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by