shipped eggs and incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aleechickens, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Aleechickens

Aleechickens New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Hi
    Lots of questions

This is the first time we've used an incubator to hatch eggs.
    I received two shipments of eggs five days apart. All are fertile, but I don't know if I go by the 21 days from when they were laid or when I actually put them in the incubator.

Some of the eggs have detached air sacs, the incubator says I have 6 days until they hatch. should I turn the automatic turner off due to the detached air sacs? All look healthy, but I'm concerned that they won't be able to hatch correctly.

Once they hatch how long should I keep them inside in a brooder until I put them with the rest of my hens?? I currently have 6 hens, one went broody and we were able to have her hatch 6 chicks from fertile eggs we received from a local farmer. we had another one go broody and we ordered eggs online when we couldn't find anyone with fertile eggs locally. She refused the eggs[​IMG] after we received the shipment and stopped being broody, hence us going out and purchasing an incubator from tractor supply.Because of our cold temps in NY I'm afraid to put them in the coop to early, especially if nobody looks after them.

Thank you

2. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Not sure if I can answer everything you asked, it is a long topic for discussion.
    1. The eggs start at day 1 when you put them in the incubator, not when you received them.
    2. Detached air sacks is not a good sign and will probably result in very weak or dead chicks. I think at this time turning off the egg turner serves no purpose and I would continue through the normal incubation cycle.
    3. How long should you keep them in a brooder? Well this depends on your climate temperature at the time you want to release them, In warm California here I drop the temperature in my brooder 5 degrees every week and then put them outside on week 5. A special note here: I do not put them with the rest of the flock. Reason being the older chickens will definitely kill them. It's called the pecking order and your new chicks are at the very bottom the pecking order and so you will probably loose most of them. You will have to introduce the new chickens very gradually or separate them into an adjoining coop area where all chickens can see each other. Even then it is very tough to get the old chickens to get along with the new one's and fighting will constantly be a threat and distressing for you to see it. If you Free range on a very large area this will not be such a problem but I really do not know your particular situation. In a caged coop my above advice is applicable. I have been doing this for 40+ years so use my experience to help.
    4.I am not local to you so can offer no help on getting fertile eggs.
    I would be interested to here how things go for you.
    TNX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by