Shipped eggs and quandary.....

debonatrix

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Hello everyone!

I ordered some fertile eggs to hatch in my incubator, and most are developing (day 10.) There are a few that are developing with saddled air sacs, and a few developing with moving air sacs still.

I have incubated them pointy end down in plastic egg crates. and I hand turn them 4-5 times a day.

Here's my good idea that I'd like to run by everyone: I'd like to lay down the ones that are developing with stabilized air sacs prior to lockdown in a separate incubator (I have two). I'd like to keep the ones with saddle air sacs and moving (unstable) air sacs in the egg crates through lockdown. Does that sound like a good idea or not? Or do you have other suggestions/ideas? Thank you in advance for your thoughts/opinions/experiences. :)

That sounds like a good idea! I've heard you get higher hatch rates leaving them point end down during lock down with saddled sacs.
Let us know how you go!
My first ever posted eggs arrive in 2 weeks! 🤞

Hello everyone!

I ordered some fertile eggs to hatch in my incubator, and most are developing (day 10.) There are a few that are developing with saddled air sacs, and a few developing with moving air sacs still.

I have incubated them pointy end down in plastic egg crates. and I hand turn them 4-5 times a day.

Here's my good idea that I'd like to run by everyone: I'd like to lay down the ones that are developing with stabilized air sacs prior to lockdown in a separate incubator (I have two). I'd like to keep the ones with saddle air sacs and moving (unstable) air sacs in the egg crates through lockdown. Does that sound like a good idea or not? Or do you have other suggestions/ideas? Thank you in advance for your thoughts/opinions/experiences. :)
I will share my recent personal experience with hatching eggs with super wonky air sacs. I hatched a set of eggs back in early May with the wildest shaped air sacs I've ever seen. Since the air sacs weren't detached, I incubated them on their side (with an automatic turner). This batch didn't have any detached air sacs.

The batch I'm incubating now has a handful of detached air sac eggs that I'm doing the same as you are (incubating upright with fat end up. I don't have significant hope for those eggs, but am going to give them a chance.

I'm less concerned about saddled air sacs than I am detached air sacs. All of mine with wild shaped air sacs hatched normally. For example, this egg's saddle was truly one of a kind:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/th-attachment-manager/3088378/view

Good luck on your hatch! :)

I will share my recent personal experience with hatching eggs with super wonky air sacs. I hatched a set of eggs back in early May with the wildest shaped air sacs I've ever seen. Since the air sacs weren't detached, I incubated them on their side (with an automatic turner). This batch didn't have any detached air sacs.

The batch I'm incubating now has a handful of detached air sac eggs that I'm doing the same as you are (incubating upright with fat end up. I don't have significant hope for those eggs, but am going to give them a chance.

I'm less concerned about saddled air sacs than I am detached air sacs. All of mine with wild shaped air sacs hatched normally. For example, this egg's saddle was truly one of a kind:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/th-attachment-manager/3088378/view

Good luck on your hatch! :)
Thank you!! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Based on this, I will only separate the intact air sac eggs (including saddled air sacs) from the unattached air sacs. I will lay the attached sacs down and keep the unattached ones upright. I will let you all know the results in case it's helpful to someone else. :)

Thank you!! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Based on this, I will only separate the intact air sac eggs (including saddled air sacs) from the unattached air sacs. I will lay the attached sacs down and keep the unattached ones upright. I will let you all know the results in case it's helpful to someone else. :)
Good luck!!! With shipped eggs, it's always a gamble. I hope the best results happen for both of us. I'll be posting updates on my batch that's in the incubator later tonight as well.

Good luck!!! With shipped eggs, it's always a gamble. I hope the best results happen for both of us. I'll be posting updates on my batch that's in the incubator later tonight as well.
Good luck to you too! 🐓 I will be following your thread with great interest. :)

Back
Top Bottom