Shipped eggs? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flashy2003, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi, So I ordered and incubator and I found some eggs I want to buy. But the more I read the more worried I get. Am I wasting my money. I know it varies with shipping handling and a thousand other factors but, how good are my chances with shipped fertile eggs hatching.Provided i do every thing right with the incubation. Would I be better off trying to find them within driving range.

2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Your hatch rates will be lower with shipped eggs and, yes, if you could find them in driving distance, that would probably be better. However, sometimes it is impossible to find the eggs you are looking for within driving distance, which is why many of us chose to have eggs shipped to us. I don't think you are "wasting your money" for this reason. You should have some that hatch.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Local is almost always better off. However, if you bought from an experienced BYC member who is used to shipping eggs, you might get lucky. I set 11 shipped eggs and hatched 9. The other 2 just didn't develop. There's of course all kinds of variables, but shipped eggs doesn't always equal heartache.

4. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    I couldn't find the birds I want close. So this is why I chose to hatch my own. But I guess if I couldn't find chicks close I wont find eggs either. LOL

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

My first and only hatch was 19eggs (12 Cochins and 7 BLRW) all from the same seller shipped from Virginia to ga...now I had 9 Cochins hatch which was excellent and only 1 BLRW...not that good?

So I have ordered another 12 eggs shipped today so I will see how these go?

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    You should just give it a try then. Hopefully, you will be as lucky as superchemicalgirl!!! There are people on here who have had great lucked with shipped eggs as she did. Good luck!!!

7. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I hatch my fist dec 22 , ship to me from Texas to DC and most hatched

Iam in lockdown again, once again shipped eggs in freezing weather and I put 7 in my bator, I candled them before lockdown
    6 /7 all bouncing around, the air sac though looks rather large, so don't know yet..but if 6/7 hatch and lat time..6/10 hatch which I knew the other 4 weren't great but still put them in cause I am learning.. Then I say shipped eggs can be awesome.

This also depends I think on receiving eggs that are truly fertile, and a reputable seller

And you have yourself -21 days some chicks:ya:ya:ya

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by