Shipped eggs did not fare so well, very sad about this..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enjaytoo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Hello fellow BYC folks.. Well, this is silly, but I am literally in tears over this. My eggs arrived today, and when I opened it, it was a mess of yellow goo..5 were utterly smashed and the remaining eggs soaked up all the residual "goo" due to the paper towels. (The eggs had been wrapped in paper towels then packed in newspaper (but no bubble wrap and there was no padding or newspaper on the sides..the eggs "butted" up right next to the side of the box.) Out of the remaining I have candled 12 so far and 10 looked like broken air sacks so I quit until I am not so upset. I know the risks involved with shipping, but I guess I've never had this happen with bubble wrapped eggs and just wanted to verify, theres no way the broken air sack ones will hatch right? Silly question, I know the probable answer, but I'm so very sad right now...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:first, that packing job sounds horrible-Im sorry. I do believe people have hatched eggs from the worst of odds-I would try? I would also take a picture of that mess that arrived and send to the person you bought them from and ask for a refund of some sort or another "free" batch wrapped and packaged the right way this time-in a polite way?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know about hatching them, but IMO there's an "acceptable" loss for shipped eggs. (as far as not getting a 100% hatch rate) Yours sounds like A LOT more than what should be expected with shipped eggs. That's just really bad packing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I hope that the seller wasn't a BYC'r! I'm so sorry that you got your eggs like that. I agree that I would take pictures of the mess and send it to the seller and to ebay. I would ask for a refund or ask for new eggs shipped properly this time.

Paper towels are NOT sturdy enough for shipping eggs.

Laurie

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I've hatched one with a detached air cell, have 3 more in the bator right now that are a week away from hatch. I didn't turn the first 3 days after setting on a few recommendations from BYC'ers. It's worth a try.

6. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Well, it was off a popular Egg place where you Bid;) Extra eggs were sent so I was thankful, I did take pictures and sent an e-mail gently suggesting bubble wrap for future clients, but I am not the type to do or say much else I guess. At this point I'm still trying to figure out why I'm crying over some eggs but hey, we all have some weak days I guess [​IMG] Should I wipe the "goo" off the detached air cell eggs with a wet paper towel or will that introduce more bacteria in the egg?

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've never had that much of a mess with shipped eggs and i have bought a lot. i have *occasionally* gotten eggs that were cracked or broken, like one or two. But this sounds like a very bad packing job, maybe along with it being jostled too much along the way. Not sure i would want to risk trying to hatch the rest, if you see the air cells broken. Were it me, i would contact the seller and ask for a refund. If you ask for another batch of eggs, you may end up with the same mess.

So sorry this happened. i know it can be heartbreaking.

8. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I would ask for a refund. That is terrible packing!!

I would also try to hatch those broken celled eggs- I have hatched 5 with broken cells to date (and I'm kind of a newbie) ! I think the trick is to ALWAYS keep them pointy end DOWN (either use an auto turner, or leave them in an egg carton- don't lay them down). At lockdown use an egg carton. When you candle them ALWAYS keep the pointy side DOWN. I don't think I'd wipe them off a lot- peronally, I'd just hatch them as is (but I'm not seeing it in person, so I don't know). Good luck! EDITED (I am loosing my mind- sorry- lol)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Enjatoo, of course you'd be tearful losing the eggs. There are so many hopes and dreams wrapped up hatching eggs, it hurts badly to lose them especially all at once. Shame on whoever sent you those eggs. They didn't even have 'a lick and a promise," of surviving shipment. Know you said you aren't the kind to complain to the seller but, if you don't write a bad review, they will keep on doing this with other buyers. I would guess they list feeback like ebay does.

10. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Pointy end up?? Really, this might work? I'll let them rest more, but store them with the big end down in the carton??

Edited to say: LOL, I'm in same "losin my mind" club [​IMG] Thanks, understand now, will keep in carton, large end UP [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by