Shipped eggs don't turn them?

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I was told by a neighbor that you should not turn shipped eggs for the first 3 days to increase the viability of the chicks. True or false? I am hopefully setting tonight.

I have never ever heard that before. Turning ensures the chicks don't stick to the inside. I HAVE heard to leave them resting for 8-12 hours before setting them in the bator.

Yea, I am waiting the 8-12 hours now, but I am not sure if I am going to make it....
sad.png

I was told to let them rest for 12 hours with the large end up to re-orientate the air sac. I place them in an egg cartoon in the same room as the bator for 12 hrs, then place them in the bator with the turnewr on.
smile.png

My shipped eggs that had really jiggly/damaged air sacs... I used egg cartons at a 45 degree angle, even though the air sacs of some where beyond horrible I still hatched 21 of 46 eggs. I think for shipped that is pretty fair.

Good luck

Christal

Quote:
The air sac will not re orientate. It is to let the eggs settle at room temp before going in the bator.

The settling is the re-orientation.

Resting at temp that's our practice. But I do continue to turn ship eggs - for the first 18 days and then go to lockdown...Have a blessed day...Nancy

-------------------------------------------

Our current auctions:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436662] Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing![/url]

Back
Top Bottom