Shipped eggs don't turn them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Jan 7, 2011.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I was told by a neighbor that you should not turn shipped eggs for the first 3 days to increase the viability of the chicks. True or false? I am hopefully setting tonight.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never ever heard that before. Turning ensures the chicks don't stick to the inside. I HAVE heard to leave them resting for 8-12 hours before setting them in the bator.

3. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Yea, I am waiting the 8-12 hours now, but I am not sure if I am going to make it....[​IMG]

4. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I was told to let them rest for 12 hours with the large end up to re-orientate the air sac. I place them in an egg cartoon in the same room as the bator for 12 hrs, then place them in the bator with the turnewr on.[​IMG]

5. Jonny

Jonny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Quote:Same here. And it seems to work very good. My shipped eggs are developing! Veins all over the place [​IMG]

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:The air sac will not re orientate. It is to let the eggs settle at room temp before going in the bator.

7. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    My shipped eggs that had really jiggly/damaged air sacs... I used egg cartons at a 45 degree angle, even though the air sacs of some where beyond horrible I still hatched 21 of 46 eggs. I think for shipped that is pretty fair.

Good luck

Christal

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I don't turn the for the first 2-3 days after I get them. If I get eggs in the summer I put them right in the incubator if they are warm/hot.

9. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Quote:The air sac will not re orientate. It is to let the eggs settle at room temp before going in the bator.

The settling is the re-orientation.

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Resting at temp that's our practice. But I do continue to turn ship eggs - for the first 18 days and then go to lockdown...Have a blessed day...Nancy

-------------------------------------------

Our current auctions:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436662] Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing![/url]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by