shipped eggs, hatch rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scooter147, Jan 28, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I can't order chicks through the mail due to minimum order requirements and the last time I did it several years ago it was a nightmare getting my chicks. I live in suburbia (post office had no experience with live chicks) and they actually put the chicks on the truck to be delivered to the house instead of calling me and of course it was a record cold day for April.

Anyway, I am thinking of ordering eggs, if I can get a 50% hatch rate from a dozen eggs I will be more than happy.

Can anyone share there experiences with hatch rates and shipped eggs?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    if you can get hatch rates of 85% or so with local type eggs...you should get 50-60% with mailed...you will get ranges if you look around on here of 0% to 100%...my normal has probably been around that 50-60%...

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    for me shipped eggs have been a mixed bag. I had 85 % hatch rate on my runner ducks but only a 30-40% hatch rate on the 4 different chicken eggs I had sent. Although it has always been in winter so that may have had something to do with it. Oh and I would only buy eggs from BYC members I think the quality is better than many of the people on e-bay if you were thinking of going that route.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I will definately try the BYC "club" first. That being said I am looking for Golden Lakevelders to start. Although I use broody hens instead of a bator so I will have to wait a few more weeks for one of my old reliables to go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by