Shipped eggs have huge air space, homegrown not so much

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seventreesfarm, Oct 2, 2012.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Tomorrow is lockdown, so I thought I would take a peek at a few eggs to see where the air cell was at.

The shipped eggs are really drawn down. I can see the chicks moving against the membrane, but not poked through as far as I can tell.

Our homegrown eggs have way less air space, kind of between the 14 and 18 day diagrams online. Should I just proceed with lockdown as usual? Bump the humidity and close everything up? I'm thinking the shipped eggs will start hatching the minute I do. If that happens, given how little draw down my eggs have so far, would it be safe to do the humid bathroom snatch & grab?

How common is this? It alsmost seems like a staggered hatch?

Oh yeah, I've been keeping humidity in the mid-30's, with a few bumps to around 50% when I rewet the sponges or add a little water to the trays.

2. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Any advice?
    I'd hate to lose any chickies this far along because of human error...

3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    If they were all set together, they should hatch around the same time. The shipped eggs sound they they are doing great. The thing with the shipped eggs in that they were probably older than your other eggs giving their air sacs time to get larger before you even put them in the incubator. For your other eggs, there is a chance they will not make it. It sounds like humidity was a bit too high for them as their air sacs should have developed more. The air sac development and the chick development aren't comparable. Air sacs develop based on humitity and age (not embryo development) and a proper air sac is what is needed for a proper hatch. The problem that could occur with your "homegrown" eggs, is depending on how small the air sacs really are, when hatching, they could drown. I had this problem my third hatch last year. You should go into lockdown no matter what and pray for the best, hopefully the air cells are in fact large enough for your homegrown eggs and the air cells aren't too large in your shipped egg. If anything does go wrong, it's not really your fault, it's hard to controll when you start with 2 sets of eggs each with different ages. I'm dealing with huge air sacs in my shipped eggs right now. Sending Good Luck your way! [​IMG]

Oh, and it's fine to quick grab chicks from the bator wether your in a humid bathroom or not. I open mine 2 a day with pips and have never had a shrinkwrapped chicks. Just be quick about it, the poeple that have trouble are those that grab a chick everytime it gets fulffy which eventually will drain the incubator of humidity.

4. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I guess we do lockdown tonight, hope the advanced chicks hatch fast and all at once so we can get them out, then hope the homegrowns draw down a bit more in the meantime.

This will definitely be a good test run for future batches, and I'll probably only do one kind of egg at a time next time - either all shipped or all homegrown.

5. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Not sure I explained that correctly, if you set all th eggs on the same day in the same incubator, than all of your embryos are developing at the same pace. The eggs with the larger air sacs do not hold bigger chicks, the chicks just have less room because of the large air sac. The eggs with smaller air sacs hold the same sized embryos just with more room becuase of the smaller ari sacs. Does this make sence? If they were set together, than one set is not more advanced then the other. The only difference between the two sets of eggs is the air sac size which has nothing to do with how big or small the embryo is. And air sacs develop based on age and humidity.

Sorry if this is still confusing, but here is what it comes down to. One set isn't more advanced then the other if you set them the same day in the same incuabtor, the only difference between the 2 sets is the air sac sizes in which the shipped eggs are bigger because they eggs were older when you set them.

And doing all homegrown or all shipped would give you the similar air sacs in all of the eggs so you can adjust the humidity according to those particular eggs, so yes, thats the better idea. Good Luck with your hatch!! [​IMG]

6. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    That makes sense. Two different mechanisms going on, one is embryo development and one is air cell, which is based on external factors like shell porosity & humidity.

I'm just hoping the homegrown eggs will hatch on the longer end of the 21 day window so there might be time for the air cells to draw down a bit more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by