Shipped eggs, how long to sit room temp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 6, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry, I know this is covered somewhere but I am between busses (6kids) and really dont' have the time to look so if someone could be so kind and help my memory a bit (already looked this up yesterday) so I can get my new eggs in my bator. How long do they have to sit at room temp and do they stay big end up while doing so? thanks
    Krista

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    6 hours is good. I usually get the eggs one day and set them that night.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

7-12 hours.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Why do they have to sit at room temp? I got eggs twice and first time put them under the broody that evening several hours later and the next, put them under her right away. First time, great hatch. Second time: no hatch.

Did I do something wrong there?

Ellie

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ideally they need to sit still so the contents of the egg can settle from the jostling and moving of shipping. The yolk settles into place and things become quiet and calm. Before putting in an incubator, especially when shipped in cool weather letting the eggs come up to room the room temp of your house before putting them in the bator helps with condensation and they don't sweat as much in the initial hours in the bator.

I don't think you did anything wrong, Ellie. There is no guarantee a shipped egg will hatch at all. It is a risk we take to have the stock we want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by