Shipped Eggs - How Was Your Success? Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Soli, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I ordered my first batch of shipped eggs, after having successfully completed several hatches with my new incubator. My hatch rate of fertile eggs of my own chickens (Phoenix) is around 85-90%, which I feel is a good number.

I've got a total of 24 eggs coming. I know that success will probably be less than the norm, but if I get a 50% hatch rate, it will be worthwhile to me.

I'd like to hear people's experience with shipped eggs, good or bad, and any suggestions that may differ from normal. My thoughts were to get them into the incubator asap, set up on their pointy end for the first day or so to allow the air sac to stabilize, and candle after 3-4 days to check for fertility.

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Most suggest letting them rest on the counter in your home for a 24 hour period.

I don't ship eggs anymore but the last time I did was to Texas. First batch was a hatch rate of 90%; so the fellow wanted more. The second batch I think he had 2 our of 24 hatch: same breed, same breed pens and packed the same by the same person: me.

Shipped eggs are a crap shoot. You just get what you get whether that is 10% or 90%. There is absolutely no way to even generalize concerning them.

This time of year when it is so extremely hot there is a good chance they will be worthless. Imagine sitting on a dock in Texas or South Carolina for hours on end or in an un-airconditioned warehouse or the back of a truck.

Personally, even if I did still sell hatching eggs I wouldn't do that to someone right now. I think to much of people's hard earned money to hoo-doo them that way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have had very good luck with shipped eggs. I've hatched at different times of the year also. I let mine rest on the counter wide end up and set them in the incubator that evening. (count the next day as day 1)

4. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    just finished my first hatch with shipped eggs bought 2 dozen 4 hatched...hi dollar chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by