Shipped eggs in the winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHICKEN little 1, Dec 26, 2008.

1. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Just wondering what outdoor temperatures is it O.K. to get shipped eggs to hatch. What's your experience? It gets quite cold here. [​IMG]

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I have eggs in the bator right now that I got Monday from Cali. I live in NY

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:Don't tell me that! The next couple days are supposed to be fairly warm 50's. I may have to fire up a broody hen [​IMG]

What's in your bator?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    When the temperture is extreem in either direction high or low it is not good to ship eggs. I dislike shipping eggs at any time. Not because of the shippers, they due a great job trying to protect the eggs. It is the P O that you have to worry about. They will do their best to break the eggs. Read some of the other post on this subject. I have made a long distance drive to pick up some eggs I wanted, but wouldn't ship. I was sure the eggs would have the best chance of hatching that way. Not everyone can do that.

5. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    I just bought 48 coturnix quail a couple of day ago so i hope they will be fine even if i just get a couple i will be happy this is so much fun:weee

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Good luck for this hatch. [​IMG]

Keep us posted.

7. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Thanks Good Luck on the hatches![​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have personally had much better luck getting shipped eggs to hatch since it has gotten colder. Early this fall I had gotten 20 button quail eggs and 18 A&M quail. I got 3 chicks total out of them. I got more button eggs in early November, shipped all the way from Alaska, and had 19 out of 30 hatch. I have also had pekin ducks (2 of 5 hatch), jumbo coturnix quail (14 of 21 so far hatch), and I have cayuga ducks and frizzled cochins in the bator now, all that were shipped. I think as long as they don't freeze, they should be fine. Just my opinion. Oh, and I have BBS ameraucanas and white, buff, and cuckoo silkies coming this week. [​IMG] Yes, I know I'm crazy, I enjoy every minute of it! [​IMG]

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have 42 eggs in the bator now. Shipped from 3 different states the week before xmas. I've candled them and all but 6 have definate movement. Of those 6, some are dark shells and just too hard to tell yet.

10. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    chicken stalker ;p :

Quote:Don't tell me that! The next couple days are supposed to be fairly warm 50's. I may have to fire up a broody hen [​IMG]

What's in your bator?

I set 10 eggs on Monday, they had shipped Friday just 3 days before.... it was was frigid!
    9 of 10 show fertile as of tonight. go figure. THAT, and had a substitute mailman so they sat in his truck till he delivered at 4PM.Ugh.........I sweated that batch out. :<)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by