Shipped eggs leaking....still at PO

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seventreesfarm, Mar 6, 2013.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    So the post office called to say one of my two boxes of shipped eggs is leaking. They won't be picked up until this afternoon, so in the meantime I get to sit at work and assume the worst.

Last fall I got shipped eggs and one had cracked and leaked inside the box, but not all the way through. Most of the eggs were still clean, and I had a pretty fair hatch rate. Those eggs had shipped from Tennessee. Our of 16, 1 broke, 2 were duds, 1 quit early, and 12 made it into lockdown.

Any tips? Hand-holding? Reassurance that everything will be fine even with a leaky box?? [​IMG]

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Hopefully it was bad packing on one egg. I can't see why the postal service can't handle FRAGILE SHIPPING EGGS labeled box.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Most of the time when I have had leaky boxes their is a huge mess in the box and not much hatches.

4. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Well there's nearly $100 down the tubes.

I called the post office after seeing one tracking number say out for delivery. Sure enough, the leaking package is still there, the other one is on the truck.

No one is home to accept delivery, so it will bounce around back to the PO and wait, no doubt scrambled by now.

I'm just a bit ticked off.

5. red golden

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    That sux what about a neighbor getting them for you.

6. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    So the damaged package was waiting at the PO yesterday, and only 3 of the 16 eggs were broken, no leakage on the other eggs.

The other package shows that it arrived at the sort facility (about 100 miles south of me) on the night of the 5th, was scanned out on the 5th, then scanned back in at 10:43am yesterday, with no further updates. I hope this doesn't mean it was too damaged to ship on. Their 1-800# says it's in transit, but not where from. Hopefully the online thing is wrong, and it's at my local PO or on its way....

But if I don't see any updates today, I need to get the rest of the eggs in the incubator. The oldest are from Friday March 1st.

7. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Aaaaand the local PO just called to say the eggs are in, no mention of damage. The PO website still shows them sitting 100 miles away.

Anyway, they'll get picked up this afternoon, rest overnight, and we'll start the whole batch in the morning. Hopefully 7 days from hen to bator will still work.

8. red golden

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Good news told ya they would be ok lol. I have the same problem when i try to track stuff through the usps . You sure your not in nc lol.

9. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    LOL some things must be universal [​IMG]

I'm hoping to get to the point where I don't need to 'import' breeding stock, but right now I still need nice new babies. If I do this too many more times I'm gonna have a heart attack [​IMG]

10. red golden

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Well now that you have your eggs i will tell you my
    story lol. I got some georgia giant quail eggs off ebay. I instructed the seller to put hold at post office with my phone number. Two days later i got a phone call. The lady ( seller) said my box of quail eggs (60) came back in a soaked box in a bag. She was nice enough to send me 90 more yes 90 . So i was lucky to have someone stand behind replacement of the eggs. She forgot to give me tracking number so i called her and she checked the number. I had called the p.o. at 6 am that morning and explained you get a package for me "hold" it. My package arrived at 10:45 i called them at 11:30 . Same guy from 6 am did you get a package for me uh no well you better check again. . Bam yep we do duhhhh lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by