Shipped Eggs (longest time they can sit?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wmsmith09, Sep 29, 2011.

1. wmsmith09

wmsmith09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    I have newely shipped eggs and I'm leaving Saturday till Monday (I don't have a turner). Should I cancel the trip? Or can they sit out of the incubator, or will they be okay not being turned till monday? Or again, should I cancel the trip?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    On shipped egg you never know really how old they are and the longer you wait to put them in the incubator the lower the hatch rate. I would put them in the incubator and put them in an egg carton with holes in the bottom of the cells or invest in an egg turner. I think they would be ok and start to turn them when you get home.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    take them in a cooler with you. Or but them in the coolest area in your house and just put them in a turner.

4. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    If I was you, I would go ahead and put them in the incubator. I think it would be wiser to set them since with shipped eggs the age of the eggs can be more of a factor than not turning them for a few days.

5. wmsmith09

wmsmith09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Okay thank you guys!! I'll put them in the Incubator tomorrow, they just got here today. And definitely invest in an egg turner![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by