Shipped eggs looked over developed and now hatching early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asiawaka, May 14, 2016.

1. asiawaka

asiawaka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern Colorado
    I ordered some tolbunt polish eggs,I had his on them and lost however the buy failed due to no payment so I was offered to buy them. They were laid over a few days but came swiftly. I let them incubate unturned for 4 days and candled at a week and was confused how developed they were. At 14 days same thing and today at 15 days they are showing hatching symptoms one with a visible pip. It it possible they were incubated in florida before arriving to me in Colorado. I use a sportsman 1520 temp and humidty both correct. I use the dry hatch method.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It seems to me that they would have died in transit if partially incubated. Are you sure its a pip and not a bad egg cracking?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If an egg has a day or two incubation and incubation process is halted, yes, they can have a jump on incubation. There has been studies done of this. However, you are talking about a matter of 6 days early. I do not believe that an egg incubated that far into the incubation would survive the time period of non incubation and continue to development. Even an incubator running warm would not excellerate growth that quickly to produce viable chicks. I am stumped to how this could be if your time line is correct. They would have had to be pre incubated and incubated in a higher temp to produce that excelleration.

I'd be interested to hear others' takes on this and possible explanations.

4. asiawaka

asiawaka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern Colorado
    thank you for the reply. I will keep updating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by