Shipped eggs need to settle?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcollins, May 27, 2010.

1. kcollins

kcollins Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Southeastern Michigan
    Getting my eggs soon. Should I let them settle before putting them in the incubator? And if yes, should I put them somewhere cooler, like the basement, and keep them small end down?

Help please! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Yes they should. Put them onto a towel sitting next to the incubator for 12 hours. That way they come up to room temperature (around 70-75 degrees) before going into the cooker. Incubator I mean. [​IMG] You don't want any condensation on them in the incubator. Also do not turn them for a whole day in the machine. Some don't even do it for up to 3 days.
    Katharina

3. kcollins

May 6, 2010
    Southeastern Michigan
    THANK-YOU!! They just arrived! I am SO nervous! This is my first time hatching in the incubator, so I want to make sure I give them the best chance possible. I have the incubator in my basement (cooler and more humid down there for a more consistent outside temp). I have the eggs upstairs with us since we have the upstairs temp at 74. They are in an egg carton bottom, little side down, is that ok? I figured I would but them in the incubator tonight around 11p. The humidty in my incubator is staying between 60 - 65 %, hopefully that will be ok.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Duck eggs are better off laying on their sides, same for the incubator. You will have a lower hatch rate, if you put them pointy side down. So don't use the chicken egg cups in the turner. Most incubators are designed to work best at room temperature, so I would not suggest to use the basement. I personally prefer the kitchen, because you have the sink near by. Especially with duck eggs, which need to get misted daily with warm water starting with day 4. The humidity should be around 55% and then at 75% for lock down. Also start the incubator now so the temp and humidity is stable when you are getting ready tonight.
    Mine are hatching right now. I've started to get the brooder going yesterday. Today I ground up their food and mixed on their vitamin/electrolyte water. Lots of things to do.
    Katharina

5. kcollins

May 6, 2010
    Southeastern Michigan
    Thank-you SO much for all the information!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! [​IMG]
    Congrats on your new babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by