Shipped eggs not Held at the post office as requested. Been on the mail truck since 7 a.m.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bazy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    They should arrive in the next 30 minutes.

The temperature here in Garland, Tx is 95. What should I do? Do I rush them home to put them in the waiting incubator? stand them air cell up and wait and hope for the best? Incubate without turning? Should I check the temperature of them and see if they are warm?

They were shipped yesterday so have been in this temperature for one day. I don't know if the mail truck is air conditioned..I am imagining the box bouncing like a basketball!!! I am so anxious!

What should I do?

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    They need 24 hours to set before you put them in the incubator. They shouldn't start developing until the temperature is around 100 degrees. I bought some and I never put them in the fridge. I had an incubator being delivered but it was 2 days late and I only had 1 out of 14 eggs develop and we ended up cracking it because we thought nothing was in it :O They should be fine for 7-12 days after being laid. Get them in the incubator as soon as you can after they've set for 24 hours for better success. Good luck! :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I would leave them to settle for 24 hours before setting in your incubator always best to do that. Try not to panic I have had eggs sent through the post and my last posted eggs I had a100% hatch which was very unexpected as I wasn't very optimistic about them. Try not to panic and good luck with your hatch.:fl

4. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Thank you for the reassurance and the replies! I will stay calm and do just as you say. I'm glad I asked, though because I would have done the wrong thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by