shipped eggs oozing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedReiner, Jun 3, 2013.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    after a long wait for some eggs I paid for I finally got the seller to ship my eggs. the shells are very porous, seller says eggs are fresh and should be fine,. but, in the middle of the bunch was an egg that was not cracked but it had egg white all over it. I assumed it was from the broken eggs that the PO broke in shipping, I rinsed it off and set it to rest...well it was oozing out more of its insides, I candled it, it was bubbly looking and very very porous, so I went to crack it in a bowl to see how scrambled it was and maybe I could check for fertility if yolk was intact, it was so thin it broke all over the bowl and the counter and it smelled bad. my question is, how old does an egg have to be before it oozes like that and starts to smell? having a hard time believing it was fresh and the shipping scrambled and caused it to ooze...
    I let the rest of them have a good day to rest then put them in the bator.my humidity shot up from 43 to 55 and I now have concerns that the other porous ones are going to do the same., stupid me put them in with other eggs already in the bator, did I just ruin my whole hatch?

2. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    anyone?

3. Oh, I doubt your entire group is ruined. Go ahead and continue on, then candle at 10-12 days. The duds will be clear, jello looking things. Pull those. Those that have a nice dark embryo blob, you can continue on.

It happens. You got a bad egg. If all you got was one, I'd consider that tolerable and look forward to some of the others hatching. Hatching rates on shipped eggs can be all over the map. It is part of the risk one assumes, I'm afraid.

If 90% of the eggs from that seller are porous, you'll have to make a note to not trade with that seller again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  4. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Thanks Fred, yes have already made that note, along with a few others who are having problems with them. the other eggs look good except for the porous shells, just strange when I added them to the bator the humidity shot up 10% and I didnt add any water. keep a close eye on them, any others start to weep and its out of there. do you think that egg was old? it smelled bad... the other two that got broke didnt smell. just that one. it took me two weeks to get her to ship my eggs, so I have to wonder if she sent me the ones she collected two weeks ago...I sure hope not... :(

5. There's no way of knowing. Unless I paid $60 for a dozen or something like that? I'd raise heck with the seller. If I paid $20 for a dozen? Nah. Chalk it to experience, shipped eggs, blah blah blah.

The postage is the postage is the postage.

Did you get good eggs? No. It doesn't sound as if you did. But this is just your half time pep talk from the coach.
    Go get 'em in the second half and you can still win this game! [​IMG]

6. RedReiner

RedReiner Songster

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

lol thanks again Fred, I paid over 100... I wont complain unless I get zero hatch or any of them explode...then the entire site she sells on will get an earful. cant blame shipping for porous stinking eggs. so we shall see :) apparently I am not alone come to find out.. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: