Shipped Eggs,Plan And Simple

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grandpaw roo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. grandpaw roo

grandpaw roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    I'd like to know success rates on shipped eggs.Lets keep it plain and simple.
    1)State to State-how far shipped
    2)Time of year
    3)Time it took to ship
    4)Rate of success- number shipped/number set/number hatched

2. grandpaw roo

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    Not even 1 reply?[​IMG]
    I guess I'll give some shipped eggs a try and see for myself.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's all about packing skills and then? The luck of the draw. Don't ship during freezing weather or horrid hot weather as the PO trucks are not heated nor cooled.

Some folks don't hatch more than 40% on their own backyard gathered eggs. I've mailed and received eggs and arrival was 100% unbroken. Great packaging is the key. Hatch rates were 75% which is quite respectable. Shipped 4 states away and received from 3 states away.

The problem is the variables. Just far too many. There are dozens and dozens of threads here on the subject and a thousand members have sent and received eggs. The skill of the packer? Vital. The skill of the hatcher? Vital again.

The risk of the PO playing soccer or tossing the box? Who can predict that? This is rather like asking if the weather is nice when one goes camping? LOL [​IMG]

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    1. I've received eggs from New Hampshire, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, New Jersey, and the Carolinas. I live in Pittsburgh, PA
    2. Late february to late october. I avoid winter months because of the temp. I avoid getting eggs from the south during summer for the same reason.
    3. 2 days. Always 2-3 days.
    4. 30%-80% hatch rate. Varies because of shipping and how rough they are with the package. Out of 12 i usually get 2 cracked. But people always send between 12-16 to make up for any that break.

Try to stay close to home to avoid the transfer between many people. Close to home means a couple states away.

5. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    My first ever hatch, shipped from TN to WA, 2 days shipping, in September.

16 eggs
    1 broken
    2 duds
    1 quitter
    12 went into lockdown
    6 hatched

I just got 2 more batches yesterday and today, one from AL and one from GA.
    AL : 16 shipped, 3 broken
    GA : 11 shipped, none broken. They go into the incubator tomorrow.

Once I get the right mix of breeding stock for my project, I won't be buying any more eggs.

6. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    GA to MA - 1.5 day to ship

30 eggs 1 broken (8 not fertile replaced by seller)

11 growing out of 21 eggs close to 50%

NY to MA 1 day shipping 2 out of 7 -
    Same breeder met at show a month later bought 6 more eggs 4 of 6 hatched

**I have seller put my number on the box and I pick up at post office! This eliminates some of the handling of the box.

7. grandpaw roo

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    Now we're getting some numbers I can go off of.[​IMG]

8. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    GA to MA 1 day shipping. None broke out of 30. Will let you know when I candle them in a few days.

So far 9 out of my 11 hatched (still in the process)

9. grandpaw roo

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    I got some Blue Millies and Buff Brahmas due to hatch the last week in March.We will see how it goes!

10. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    There are sooo many variables in shipping. Packaging, temperature, handling etc. I always order eggs shipped in my own state and have had much better hatch rates since I started this policy for myself. I got tired of wasting money on eggs shipped from far away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by