Shipped eggs question????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brandibaby23, Dec 30, 2010.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I am getting eggs here today. What do I do with them when they arrive? I have read to let them set for some time but how long should I let them set? Do I do anything else before I put them in the incubator? I wanna do everything right to start this off this time. Thank to all replies. I'm eggcited!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I let them sit out for 24 hrs before setting. Let them come to room temp and to let them settle. I put them in an egg carton, pointy side down and let them rest.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What NoseyChickens said.

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Should they be room temp of the room they will be set in? or standard room temp(say 68º)?
    I ask because I will be incubating in my basement and the temp ranges from 58º-65º... Depending on time of year, day/night.

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    What ever room they are in. It is mostly so they can settle if the air sack got josteled during shipment

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep my house fairly cool, much more cool than most folks, and I let eggs rest at actual room temp, which sometimes is around 55 degrees. During the summer, it's much warmer, though...

The big issue with "room temp" is not to put too much effort on the incubator heater to get back to optimum temp. So, no eggs straight from the fridge!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  7. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    The room they will be setting is 74 degrees, is that too much? that is the room the brooder with the chicks are in and it stays warm in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by