1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped eggs resting...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oofies, May 18, 2016.

1. Oofies

Oofies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    West Virginia
    Going for my third hatch, 9/41,11/45... All eggs were shipped. Hovabator Genesis with turner. I plan I doing a dry hatch completely until 18 days then keep 65% ish?
    How long should I let these eggs sit before putting them in the bator? I've been letting them sit 15-36 hours with the others and I can't tell that there has been
    Any difference with the settling time.
    Thoughts?
    Maran, Swedish flower, and I hope pumpkin Hulsey eggs (if I'm not getting ripped off by this person who said they shipped to the wrong person last time)
    Thanks'

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I go by the air cells. Are they small and fixed or are they big and loose or even totally detached and roll around like a bubble in a level?

My last batch sat for 12 hours then I put them in and started turning, using a Brinsea Octo 20 advance. Hatched 13 out of the 19 I locked down, started with 32, but had 8 clears and 5 more quit along the way.

Shipped eggs are a gamble. Distance, altitude change, health of the breeding stock, age of the eggs can all factor in to how your hatch does. Keeping a good temp and humidity is more important in my opinion.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by