Shipped eggs, toss cracked one?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 6, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had some eggs shipped to me and one is cracked on the small end. Do I just toss this egg or is there a slim chance it will be ok? What is general consensus on this
    Krista

Let me say this is my second hatch, I had some small cracks in some of my first eggs cuz the people that gave them to my daughter just threw them in ziploc baggies. Only one went bad early, was I just lucky? I so don't want to throw it away if it has the slimmest of chances.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I personally wouldn't. They will break while inside your bator and leave a terrible mess. I've tossed every egg that was cracked before putting them into the bator. I actually had one that I didn't noticed was cracked and it leaked. Luckily, I caught it in time. So there wasn't a big mess to clean. I toss the ones that start to "weep" the first day of incubating. Some people add glue to the cracks. Your choice really. Good luck!

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I've tried wax and super glue, neither one of the eggs hatched, but the one i used glue did develope. take a chance you might luck out.

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    If it's only a small crack, you can use clear nail-repair nail polish (like that Sally Hansen stuff). I have hatched 3 Bobwhite Quail from eggs I had repaired like that. But, be warned, one of them was deformed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by