1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped Eggs VIability?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by combatfuzzball, Mar 16, 2017.

1. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Thinking about getting eggs sometime in the near future. Can I get an idea of survivability of the eggs being shipped and then the hatch rate of them?

2. dpsoffgrid

dpsoffgrid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    You never know, so many variables. I have got expensive eggs and did everything everyone says and hatch rate sucked.

1 person likes this.
  3. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    rule of thumb is 50 to 60% is standard on shipped as long as the air cells are reasonable. If the air cells are detached then 40-50%.

No one can guarantee that the eggs are fertile and if they do then don't order them (long story where some not so cleaver person guaranteed fertility but didn't mention that he was sending egg out of his incubator which is how he knew they were fertile. Got 0% on that batch)

Most sellers will include some extras to cover the infertile eggs but that's not the written rule.

Another tip is don't buy them until sunday that way they can not be shipped until Monday. I could write another long story about a person who thought shipping on Friday evening was a good idea.

4. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Tanks that's a great aidea about not ordering until Sunday. Guess I will try once it get's warmer here in Maine. Not wanting to get a bunch of eggcicles.

5. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    As has already been mentioned, there are so many variables that are out of your control. A healthy flock is the first step in a good hatch rate, so if you're buying shipped eggs, you have no idea what the flock is like. The time of year is a major factor. If the sender or receiver (or anywhere in between) is having harsh or inclement weather, the eggs can be subjected to extreme temperatures for prolong periods, which plays havoc with the hatch rate. The folks working at the shipping company -- be it USPS, Fed Ex or UPS -- can be animals when it comes to handling packages especially ones marked "Fragile." Some of them seem to give extra attention to the "Fragile" ones and make sure those packages get a few extra kicks around the floor. Rough handling in shipping can break eggs at worst, but also detach the air sacs. Sometimes the air sacs reattach and sometimes they don't. Folks who know what they're doing will hold your order until the following Monday to ship, so if your order will be shipped immediately when you order on a Thursday, go somewhere else.

My first-ever hatch was 22 shipped eggs and 20 of them hatched, so you can get good hatch rates, but there are too many variables outside of your control. My suggestions is to NOT have the carton marked "Fragile" so it doesn't draw any extra attention.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by