Shipped eggs...wait time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Looking to get info on people who have done numerous hatches with shipped eggs...have you tried both putting them in the incubator right away AND letting them rest a few days...a week? Which did you find was better? How did you let them rest? If you let them rest, did they rest in certain conditions?

I'm going to have a full incubator of shipped eggs. I had a real mess of a time incubating my last shipped eggs, and I had a 3 of 18 hatch rate, 1 of which needed to be culled soon after. I believe most of that was my problem, as nearly every other shipped egg (11 or 12) died within the last couple days, I found when doing eggtopsies. I've fixed my issues, hopefully, but want to get whatever help I can get before setting this next group. Probably 3 dozen or so...

2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Another question...how long would it be ok to rest the eggs...the longest? I plan on filling the bator for the New Year's competition, but can't imagine being able to get everything shipped to me the day before without fail, so will probably set up shipping for a few days before? Gah!!

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Typically the eggs are at least 7 to 10 days old by the time you receive them. Letting them set around too much longer is not a good idea.

I either set mine as soon as I get them or within 24 hours.

What I have found that effects them more than the resting time is how much the post office shook them up while delivering them.
    I get low hatch rates on the packages that look like someone played football with them OR have cracked eggs in the package.
    I get good hatch rates on packages that arrive in pristine condition with no cracked eggs.
    My last shippment of eggs - - I hatched 5 out of the shipped 6 eggs.

I always set some of my own eggs with the shipped eggs. That way I know if it was a "shipping" issue or and "incubator" issue.

4. CarolinaChickenKeeper

CarolinaChickenKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Pauline, SC
    When people refer to letting the eggs rest, I believe it is referring not turning/rotating them. When I get my package, the first thing I do is carefully unwrap them. I then set them upright in the incubator, and start the incubating process. After one to two days, I start rotating them. After that, it's a waiting game.

ETA: The longer you wait to "set the eggs" the less viable they become. I agree with the above post

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  5. debbie_nibbles

debbie_nibbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Port Angeles, Wa
    I heard you need to let them set over night at 50-60(room temperature) degrees so they don't sweat when you put them in incubater. Keep them pointed egg down. I love to watch the you tube videos on hatching eggs [​IMG] Got lots of info from there. Good luck to you!

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Does not turning them the first day or two effect the hatch date?

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The hatch date is effected my temperature.... They don't start growing until the temps are right.
    The not turning will not delay the hatch date. Once they are set in the incubator with the heat going the clock starts counting.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:When you say "set them upright", do you mean setting them so the air cell is at the top or at the bottom?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I put my shipped eggs in my incubator, pointy end down, immediately to let the eggs warm up and to come up to temperature but don't turn on the turner until the next day. I have tried letting them sit out for up to 24 hrs but have had no difference in my hatches.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oops, double post... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by