Shipped Eggs - what can I reasonably expect?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by n8ivetxn, Sep 8, 2016.

1. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Ok professional incubators ;)

When it comes to shipped eggs, what kind of hatch rate is reasonable or to be expected?

Do you use a commercial bator or home made?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Shipped eggs only have a 50% or less expectancy......but...depending on the damage, you can certainly have well higher than that.

It all depends on how well they were packaged and how bad they were handled in transit. Some hubs and routes are known for being the downfall of eggs, while others are just fine.

My silkie eggs from rubynala97 were awesomely collected, stored and packaged and looked pretty good when they got here. None broken, a few wobbly air cells that firmed up after a couple days. I was sent 18, 17/18 showed development at day 3, 14 of those made it to lockdown and out of 14 in lockdown 12 made it to healthy hatching.

I use an old LG9200 that is on it's way to retirement after these guineas hatch that are in there.

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Thank so much for the reply.... I bought the eggs from a reputable breeder a full day's drive from me (so not too far off) and he did a great job of wrapping each one in a bubble wrap pocket with an open end..... I bought 36 and he sent 42. Even the box was in really good shape. He subdivided it inside for extra security (I have to remember this stuff in case I ship later on!)...

My attempt at candling was a learning experience. Some I could clearly see a small air pocket, some I could see the yolk, a couple had a rolling pocket or saddle shape, and others I couldn't see anything at all (no air pocket visible).

Congrats on your wonderful Silkie hatch [​IMG]and much luck to you on your guineas [​IMG](fun birds!)

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's good. And thanks. The guineas are actually for my nephew, he asked me to hatch some for him, I have no interest in them...lol

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    LOL, my enjoyment is somewhat nostalgic - when I was a kid growing up, I remember some neighbors had them.... in my mind it would be cool to have them, but in reality I think all my neighbors would come to hate me, LOL! I'd be the scourge of my neighborhood [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    At least they wouldn't be peacocks...lol. I heard those are loud!!

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    [​IMG]I love my neighbors, they're all great people.... I should play a joke and tell them I'm getting some peachicks [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by