Shipped eggs - when to contact the seller?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Indigosands, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    We all know there's no guarantees with shipped eggs and a 50% hatch is about average. What conditions would cause you to contact the seller regarding a batch of bad eggs where there were no actual broken eggs?

2. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    What do you mean by (bad).
    I don't think they can guarantee anything other than fertility do they?

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Even fertility can't be truly guaranteed. It is all chance. There is nothing to do. A lot of sellers don't even like to replace broken eggs...but they definitely won't replace eggs that didn't hatch. Because there are too many things that can affect a hatch.

4. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    I agree-lots can go wrong.

5. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Very porous, obvious without candling. Development in 3 out of 12. The other eggs from different sellers are nearly 100% so far, its not my incubator.

6. heirloomorps

heirloomorps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Brooksville, FL
    My Coop
    Hi All,

I believe the OP is talking about eggs shipped from ourselves. We are a brand new Poultry Business in the South of Tennessee. As a farm that isn't open yet we have been sending out shipments to people at a highly reduced price (12 Silkie hatching for $10 + shipping), asking for feedback etc as we go.
    We have been hatching fine from all our coops so far at home.
    Each egg comes marked as to which coop it came from along with a piece of paper also stating coop it was laid in and the date it was laid.

The OP has not at any point contacted us to discuss this with us but has been messaging other people on our ad with the following:
    "

Hi, I saw you purchased eggs from Hardin poultry and I'm wondering how your order went, I was sent some pretty porous eggs with a very low fertility rate and I'm trying to decide if this was an incident isolated to me or if there's a problem?

thanks,
    Elizabeth
    "

I feel that as we have not even been contacted to discuss this, that this is highly wrong!

So many things can go wrong as others state above, and the OP has not even contacted us! Why not email us to mention this, discuss a problem or state that certain coops had an issue.
    We have 4 volunteers on the property at any one time and each of these are not that experienced and they also send out selections for us, so it would be great to find out where the issue is, IF it is at our end!

Just a shame the OP felt it better to email our happy customers rather than email US!

OP - If you had contacted us you would find we are approachable, stand by what we sell and guess what, we are human and make mistakes! We would have loved the opportunity to put it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by