?? shipped eggs / wierd air cells ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evonne, Nov 10, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i know i saw a post... but i don't remeber where.. so i'm asking...

i need stories advice and information on eggs w/ wierd shaped air cells, or air cells that are on the side of the egg.....

my last batch of shipped eggs all the cells were bad and the whites/yolkes didn't look good... none of them did anything...

this batch is duck eggs... hard to tell which end the cell should be to begin with.. lol...
    i had a few that the cells and the yolks look good.. i'm really crossing my fingers...
    but a few of them had the air cell kinda on the side....
    1 or 2 of them looked like my last batch of eggs....

8/12 made it completley whoel.. 1 had hairline cracks that i could only see on candeling... don't know if they go all the way through...
    and 3 were broken broken.. :eek:(

so, like i said, i need thoughts advice.. things i will need to know if the funky air cells do develope... do they need anything different during hatching??

2. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You're in the same boat I'm in sounds like. What I did was set the eggs in a carton overnight without turning and then I put them in the turners in the incubator, but left them off for a day. On mine the air cells are very prominent so I am trying hard to keep the humidity up. I intend to lock down in cartons again, because I'm not sure how well they will do on their sides.

Mine are all developing, but my chicken egg with the broken air cell did also, but wasn't able to hatch.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I think that's why it is recommended you leave them sitting with the Large end up for 24 hours to allow the airspace to get back in position.

4. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:speaks the truth!^^

5. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    ddoohhh!!!!!! [​IMG]
    i shoulda posted this before i put them in the bator.. they set overnight.. but on their side... i didn't think to have my mom put them in a carton....
    guess i'll just watch and see...

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Yep weird air sacs should sit upright. Even after putting them in the incubator. If you don't have a turner put them in cartons and tilt them instead of laying them on their sides. Sometimes the air sac will settle back to the top if you do that. Otherwise it will continue to sit which ever way is up making it hard for chicks (or ducks) to hatch and if you are turning by hand rotating the eggs the air sac will rotate with it possibly doing further damage to the egg and killing the developing embryo. If I have badly damaged air sacs I keep the eggs upright all through incubation and if they still haven't settled out by hatch time then I hatch them in cartons so the air sac continues to stay up.

7. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'll switch them inot a carton then.... see if we can get them straightened out

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Good luck! Every day we learn something but, at my age, I think i forget more than I learn!

9. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:lol... yeha.. me too... today's not a good day either.. i did remeber to do that though... so i have them.. duck eggs and the chicken eggs that were in there, in a 2.5 doz flat carton piece... you know what i'm talking about...
    i have a 1x4 propped under oen side... if i put a 2x4 it puts the eggs too close to the heating element...
    and just switching which side is up is enough as far as turning them??? seems like such a little difference...

my aunt said she had to mist her duck eggs... what's your guys opinion on that?? or should i ask in the ducks topic area??i know they need a higher humidity to hatch, do they need it through the whole thing??

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I know ducks take more humidity but that's it. You'll have to wait for some duck people. Normally I prop the cartons themselves rather than the incubator but I've seen people do it that way. I use the trays in the bottom and all the water would run out of mine if I tilted the whole thing. Make sure you are watching the temperature. Preferably in more than one spot. Tilting is complicated in a still air because there can be a considerable temperature difference between the top of the high side of the center carton and the low side of an edge carton. A forced air it works a lot better. My attempts to hatch shipped serama eggs which often suffer air sac damage was my main reason for getting a turner. I got tired of tilting cartons in a still air in order to keep the air sacs in the right spot. Sometimes they'll settle out after a few days to a week of being upright and you can lay them down on the mesh again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by