Shipped Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sutherland906, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sutherland906

Sutherland906 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    I was sketchy buying off ebay to begin with, but have heard that many people do and decided to give it a shot. The listing stated that a heat pack would be included "if needed for your area"... I'm in upstate NY, and no heat pack was included. Also, there was an extra day shipping because the postal service was closed for president's day. Last night temps dropped to 33 here. I'm petrified they won't hatch now, they were very cold when I opened them. What are the chances I'll have a sucessful hatch? I'm so nervous :(

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The best you can do is set them and see. If they did not freeze and crack they may very well still be good. Where were they shipped from?

I have gotten some great hatches from ebay, others not so great. It's always a toss up with shipped eggs, regardless of the source you purchase them through.

3. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    They came from TN. One has a tiny hairline crack at the small end, but all others were ok. I've contacted the seller, no immediate response yet. I'm so mad they could be so careless... I mean come on, NY? It's a no brainer.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Let them sit on the counter for 24 hours before you set them. Run a bead of superglue down the crack. Probably won't develop but worth a try.
    In the future, have eggs shipped Monday or Tuesday so they don't get caught in transit over the weekend.

5. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Good call with the glue.. forgot I had read that before. I didn't get to pick shipping day unfortunately. Next time I may wait for another auction, but the price was good for lavender orps. My mistake, live & learn.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good sellers are smart enough to know when to ship so they don't sit unnecessarily. Sorry about your luck. I don't think the temp is a huge deal though, but the cracked one is likely a goner. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot though.

If you're lucky, the male embryos were killed by the cold and the females survived (as some studies suggest) and you'll only hatch out the girls. Just trying to be positive lol.

7. babychick66

babychick66 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    God willing all will hatch and you will have a flock of babies[​IMG]

8. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    I certainly hope so, but not so convinced it'll happen. I candled quick on day 4 (I had to, I have zero patience).. 2 of 12 were progressing well. I'm hoping more are ok, maybe I just didn't pick up on it. Saturday is day 10, so I'll candle again. Fingers crossed til then.

9. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Update: I put in 6 of my own eggs, figuring they had the best chance of survival anyway. 5/6 of mine hatched, hoping for the 6th.

The lavs are still a concern though. Technically due today, so they aren't "late" yet. I did see 2 eggs wiggle, so I'm watching diligently. Most were very hard to see when candled before lockdown, I could only see 2 moving (possible the same 2 I saw wiggle). Because of the size, is it common to not see a lot of movement? Am I a paranoid mom, should I just have a glass of wine and breathe??

10. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Margarita for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by