Shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I know lots of people ask this but how is hatching shipped eggs? I (might) get some from my buddy in utah but is that to far? Thanks!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It all depends on their journey and handling in transit as to how well they will hatch. Good packaging, choosing a time of year when the temp is pretty stable and not too hot or cold and crossing your fingers that the people who handle your egg package along the way do so in a delicate manner all help towards a good hatch. Also check to see how long the shipping time would be if its going to be more than a few days than it will reduce your chances again. [​IMG]

3. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Utah to Tennesse should be fine... I've done Tennesse to California, and Georgia to California. Hopefully your buddy is close to the airport for less jarring of the eggs.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    ok, thanks for the replies! It really helps! Im really excited! And hope that if I get some they will do ok?! My last batch was HORRIBLE!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had some poor results with shipped eggs, 4 out of 12 hatch (8 eggs just didn't develop or were infertile) and some good results 8 plus out of a dozen hatch on other hatches. I put the eggs in the incubator but don't turn on the turner for a day or two and let the eggs settle and come up to temperature. I'm getting ready to put 50 eggs into lockdown tomorrow.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've had anywhere to 100% to 0% on shipped eggs. Its a gamble.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a gamble, but your chances increase based on weather, distance, time of year, and how they package them.

I've shipped eggs as far as New Jersey and South Carolina and they had at least 50% still fertile and hatch. [​IMG]

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I just finished my first attempt at hatching. I had four sets of eggs - three of the shipped. The ones I got from Meyer Hatchery did great - 7 out of 9 hatched. The two other shipped sets were from private breeders. One set didn't have any to hatch (0 out of 4), and the other had 4 out of 7 to hatch. The ones I got from a local breeder hatched 4 out of 6. So the shipped eggs and the local ones had about the same rate of success. I think the set that didn't hatch any might have had a rough trip. They just never developed.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    im sure that my friend (shes a BYCer, and is one of my BFFs, her name is bayyjayy) will pack they VERY good. I just dont want it to go like the last batch. none of them developed!

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Even if they do pack the eggs really good, the post office may handle them so poorly that they don't hatch anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by