1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Oct 8, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I know this is a sticky topic but...ya know i know you take a risk with shipped eggs but out of 30 some eggs that i had ordered from someone not on here only 2 made it to lock down the rest were no good when i checked on day ten most were clear my question is would you contact the person to let them know about the eggs or not it's not like im exspecting a refund or anything thanks for the advice!

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I always do let them know how the hatching or candling goes either way so that they know how thei hatching with shipped eggs is going. Sometimes they will resend more eggs for just shipping if you have had a really poor hatch.

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I would! You pay for and receive 30 and only two make it to lockdown? Doesn't sound right to me.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You take a chance with shipped eggs. If you recieved them in good condition & packaging etc. than how can you unless you can prove they were infertile eggs. You have no clue what kind of damage was done in shipping. If you would have received them any differently then it's a different story!!

5. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I would, I think it is common curtesy on your behalf to let the supplier know how it has gone whether it be good or bad. They may not have done anything wrong on purpose and by telling them that things didn't work it might give them a chance to do something different, a good supplier will always try to improve their success rate. If they were mostly clear though you should open them and check if they were fertile to begin with (look for the target/bullseye spot on the yolk) and if many look unfertile i think it would be fair to request a refund or more eggs as the product themselves are at fault and infertility cannot be blamed on shipping. Just my humble opinion.

6. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you all for the advice! sounds great i think i will just let them know i still have the eggs so i will break some open to check i havent thrown the clear ones away yet they are sitting in my basement still thanks again!

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I know we all now belive in that phrase SHIPPING EGGS IS A RISK.

I do belive that is also a good oportunity for some sellers to get rid off old eggs , and blame everything on the shipping risk

I have had the same issues with poor hatches

and there are no guaranty that the seller will send you fresh egg (not rotten but not fresh)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by