shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Johndale, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    how many of you have had succes with shipped eggs? tell me how many hatched out of what

2. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I just hatched 11 out of 12 eggs that I recieved from another BYC member. But I have had bad hatches also. Really can be hard decision becuase of the treatment they get sometimes in the mail. Kind of like that with hatching eggs period. You could get bad eggs from local folks too. I would just try to find a good breeder as close as possible.[​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have had only 1 of 16, and right now I have 9 of 9 on day 14 still going strong. My best hatch was from local eggs, 11 of 12 (1 was infertile). Shipping does horrible things to eggs. I feel lucky if I get 1/4 to hatch. Anything more is cake [​IMG]
    Krista

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I've had 2 out of 12, 12 out of 16,11 out of 24. I'd say anywhere from 30-50% is good.

5. fieldsems

fieldsems Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    I ordered silkies from ebay 1 out of 7 hatched I am going to try 1 more time

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    It varies. Depends on the time of year and how hot/cold it is for the eggs in shipping, how kind the postal workers are and how well they are packaged. I've had some really well packed shipments still wind up with 0 hatch. And some that appeared packaged bare minimum that arrived miraculously fine and have had a good hatch. I think the general rule of thumb is 30-50% and to hope for the best. But I also have needed to buy several batches and keep on hatching to get enough to start up in a breed I want and can't buy them as chicks. Alot also depends on how well you work your incubator, temp & humidity. Key word here is patience, and also don't spend more than you don't mind losing if your eggs get smashed or don't hatch.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Shipped eggs are a gamble. I've had 0 out of 18 but I've also had 11 out of 13. There's lots of variables that come into play.

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I just received word from a gal in Washington State who received 20 eggs from me on two different occasions. The first hatch was a bit over two weeks ago, she had 16 out of 20 with the first on and 18 out of 20 on the second. I am extreamly careful packing and I included a cold pac to help with the heat we are having right now. I have personally received eggs in the mail and had anywhere from 0 % to 65 % hatch. I am just thrilled that my eggs did so well in the shipping shuffle.

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I successfully shipped 8 duck eggs from TX to OR this year for a fertility test. Unfortunately only 2 developed the whole way. Only 1 was cracked during post. Hopefully Shmorborp (sp?) took some pics cause i didn't before i shipped. [​IMG]

10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Out of 4 batches a total of 43 eggs I got 5 to hatch and out of those: one person I hatched 2 for killed them with too much heat, 1 was weak and died same day as it hatched, and the other 2 are happy and very much alive at 4 wks old and will join the rest of the flock in 2 weeks.

ETA: This is from an LG still air w/turner...Don't get one.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by