Shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by palmerchick, Oct 2, 2013.

1. palmerchick

palmerchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I have just tried hatching 3 different batches of shipped eggs and only got 4 chicks. One out of 2 different batches and 3 out of the other. I guess my question is , you get chicks does that mean that I still be doing something wrong? I am using 2 different Brinsea incubators and haven't checked the humidity, but have watched the temp with no problems. I did let the eggs settle for 24 hours and then I did put them on the turner, there seems to be some differing opinions on that.

I decided to try some more of silkies (3 cute ones from the first hatch) and Marans (only got 1 and don't want it to be alone). I also just got a sizzle this morning hoping another will hatch. I ordered from some people on this site this time, so maybe I will have better luck!

We are new to hatching, but loving it and any suggestions will be appreciated before I start the next batch.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Shipped eggs can be very difficult to hatch and their hatch rates are generally low. Someone said once it's around 50% on average and it's not uncommon to get single chicks or no chicks from a shipment! Sadly the PO are not going to handle those boxes with care, no matter how many "fragile" stickers you slap on it and the eggs often arrive in such a state it's near impossible to get a successful hatch from them. All you can do is keep trying. In this article you will get some tips for hatching shipped eggs. Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    The more I incubate the easier it is for me....but with shipped eggs you never know what you're going to get! I also think some breeds are harder to hatch than others...but that's just my opinion.
    I have a brinsea mini incubator and love it! I do use auto mode if I can, but I also hand turn eggs if I have more than what fits in the turner. Both ways have worked the same for me....but it's hard to remember to turn them sometimes:) I found certain areas of the country ship eggs better than others....I have a breeder in the south 1500 miles away, and the way she packs the eggs must help because I have ended up with about 90% hatch rate!!! That and her flock must be healthy to lay such nice eggs. I'm on my 3rd batch of eggs from her, and only 1 out of 15 eggs had a rolling air cell from shipping. We'll see how this batch turns out :)
    Good luck in the future and keep trying!

4. Shelly Chip

Shelly Chip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    I have only incubated 4 batches of shipped eggs. I think the way the eggs are shipped matters too. Three of the batches I had shipped in were just wrappped in bubble wrap and placed in shredded newspaper in the box. I had the lowest fertility/hatch rate with these. Those were all also polish chickens. I bought some silkie eggs as kind of a last minute add on to the last batch of polish I was incubating. The lady sent these in a carton placed with shredded newspaper around them in the carton and then the carton had been placed in a box with shredded newspaper. Now these eggs were left on my porch for a few hours. The postman had totally disregarded the "this end up" writing on the package and placed it sideways between my doors. I let the eggs rest in the egg carton for only 5 hours before placing them in the incubator. Every one of these eggs appears fertile, whereas it only looks like 4 out of 12 of the polish I had sent are developing. Same incubator/temps/humidity. Different type and different packaging and breeder. I know the postman was not careful with the silkies, yet they are my best fertility rate yet. Go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by