Shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThaiDye, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ThaiDye

ThaiDye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    Hello. Just wanted to get opinions on shipped eggs & detached/rotating air cells. I've purchase eggs about half a dozen times & I've treated them both ways. By treated, I mean I've let them settle a day or more, & also have put them in the incubator the day I received them. As far as the detached air cells go, I've seen no difference in letting them sit. I've never seen any reattach. So my basic opinion on subject of shipped eggs is, a bad egg is a bad egg & there is no benefit to letting them settle. In fact, just the opposite. Letting them settle just ages the eggs more. I've had better hatch rates putting the eggs straight in.
    Has anybody ever had an experience where a detached air cell actually reattached? I'd love to hear your experiences.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Played around more with shipped eggs this year, I usually pick them up at the PO and candle and set them up at home to acclimatize, and put them in the incubator late that same night, usually around 8-12 hours at most... I usually incubate them (at least the first week) in cut down egg cartons so just put the carton with eggs in. I have more than one small incubator so I try to separate them via good air cells and problem air cells. The what look to be good ones on candling I leave usually wait for 24 hours or so until I start the turners. The ones with floating air cells I wait 3-5 days (somewhere on the internet there is a paper where they went like eight days?, never had the courage to go that long), I have had detached air cells re-attach, but if they are broken/bubbly I have never had one be viable that I know of. The ones that re-attach are often funny or odd shapes, and the hatch rates aren't as good, but enough hatch that I definitely think they are worth setting. Figuring out air cell size can be tricky so I do try to go by weight loss on those most of the time. How well they did really varied from shipment to shipment and breed to breed, so I just try with all of them still. There are a lot of threads on BYC about detached air cells and the luck people have had with shipped eggs in general, there just seem to be so many variables at play with shipped eggs.

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I receive a lot of shipped eggs. I've never had floating, detached air cells make it halfway through incubation. I've had large, lop-sided air cells from shipping, hatch out just fine. But the detached/floating air cells, I've never had luck with. I've never let them set out longer than 24 hours before sticking them in the incubator though. I've tried sticking them upright in a cut out egg carton or just laying them directly on their side. Nothing really works. Zero have reattached in my experience. I've also noticed most of these have scrambled yolks as well. So of course embryos can't survive in that for long. I saw this from opening the egg up (after seeing a quitter or no development at all) from the top. You can see that membrane completely pulled away from the shell and the pocket of air just moves about. Some are just loaded with bubbles too. Most of these I've noted to have scrambled and broken yolks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. ThaiDye

ThaiDye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    My friend & I performed an experiment with a fresh white egg. We had to shake it up pretty violently to make it get a bubble inside, but when we opened it, it looked normal. My first shipped eggs I let sit for about 4 or 5 days & they never reattached. Nowadays the eggs go in almost immediately. My hatch rate has gone up also.
    Anybody know what's the reason some eggs look gooey inside? Bacteria? The gooey ones don't hatch either. I keep them in full term, but maybe I shouldn't. Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by