1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipped hatching eggs question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bustermommy, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I know I read on here somewhere about letting shipped eggs rest for a bit before incubating to let the yolks settle, but a search didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Soooo, could someone please help me out and refresh my memory about incubating shipped hatching eggs?

Thanks.

2. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I let mine rest small end down, in egg cartons room temperature for 24hrs.

3. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I think a lot of people candle shipped eggs when they get them to be certain they are not cracked anywhere. If they are they repair them with wax etc. Hope that helps...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    YES, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you sooo much. [​IMG]

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    What kind of eggs are you setting?

6. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Well, I'm hoping to practice on ee eggs to prepare for some Coronation/Lt. Sussex after I have a clue. I'm still waiting for the auction to end, but I'm sure I'll get some sooner or later. There aren't any hatching eggs for the breed I want locally so I wanted to practice on shipped eggs too. I don't think my roo is getting any fertilizing done or I'd practice on my own eggs first. [​IMG] He gets nooo respect from the girls! [​IMG] Of course he could just be shy!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You should try hatching some of your EE eggs, your roo might be getting his job done after all.;-)

8. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    They peck him and he runs away! [​IMG] I am planning on giving him a little more time and trying because he's a lt. sussex and I have a lt. sussex hen who actually likes him, but isn't laying yet. I don't think he's mature enough. His tail just started rooing. He's poor quality, cuz he has feather stubs on his legs, but for my backyard, his chicks would be fine. I do love the coronations though and around here, the only seller I know wants $60 for a ROOSTER and that's a split with lt. Can't afford that right now.

9. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yeah, you don't see many coronation around here either. Where are you located? Deb

10. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Denver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by