Shipped pullets have very pale legs and combs

CluckInLuxury

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
South Louisiana
We just received some shipped Red Star pullets this evening (don't ask how much shipping cost $$$, they are to replace the ladies we lost to an attack).

Their combs, wattles, and legs are very pale. They are supposed to be yellow legs and they're white. They ate and drank immediately and are very lively, but why do they look so pale? Is it normal for pullets to arrive looking like that due to not eating and drinking for two days? We've never ordered pullets before!

Thank you!

Would you consider this normal for stressed pullets or does this look problematic?
I'd say that was a combo of a cecal poop and liquid/green chunks from not eating for a couple days...and drinking a lot when they arrived.
Give it a couple days before you start to worry.

I looked up the McMurray "Red Stars". They are kind of large but are supposedly based on commercial layers.

Pale combs are normal for pullets not yet laying. That's one way to tell that they may be getting close to laying, their combs turn really bright red. The only chickens that age that should have a bright red comb are the boys. That's one way to tell they are boys. Since they are red sex links what you show are not boys. Definitely girls. I don't see anything wrong with the combs on those pullets.

Leg color is controlled by genetics. Some breeds and crosses have white legs like that, Sussex for example. The photos at McMurray's website show yellow legs. I'm not sure what is going on. You can either call McMurray and ask or, better yet, send a photo by e-mail and ask. Since they are multi-generational crosses it's very possible some of them have white legs. It would be very interesting to see how McMurray explains it.

We just received some shipped Red Star pullets this evening (don't ask how much shipping cost $$$, they are to replace the ladies we lost to an attack).

Their combs, wattles, and legs are very pale. They are supposed to be yellow legs and they're white. They ate and drank immediately and are very lively, but why do they look so pale? Is it normal for pullets to arrive looking like that due to not eating and drinking for two days? We've never ordered pullets before!

Thank you!
1606528678036.jpg

Is it normal for pullets to arrive looking like that due to not eating and drinking for two days?
How old are they?
Was there not some kind of nutrition/hydration in the shipper box?
Usually it's a green gel.

Yes, shipping older birds is a CluckinLuxury :gig love the screen name!

Pics would help.
Birds that are not in lay have pale combs.
Leg color could just be a vagary of a mixed bird....
....or could also be an indication of laying status.
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @CluckInLuxury
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607603690904.png

How old are they?
Was there not some kind of nutrition/hydration in the shipper box?
Usually it's a green gel.

Yes, shipping older birds is a CluckinLuxury :gig love the screen name!

Pics would help.
Birds that are not in lay have pale combs.
Leg color could just be a vagary of a mixed bird....
....or could also be an indication of laying status.
As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @CluckInLuxury
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2443143
Thanks for the info! They looked terrible when they got here. I was afraid they were dead. Completely silent, laying down, not making any noise. When we let them out they acted ok. They are very scrawny (we have a 9 week old that looks better than these "15-22 week" year olds) and the tips of their tail feathers were all messy. They ate pretty quickly, then quickly began to perk up. At least one is pooping I know.

In South Louisiana it was 50 degrees last night. They didn't seem accustomed to cold so we put a little 25 watt light and they snuggled up under it in their box. They went through Billings, MT so they may have had a rough trip. They had no gel or anything in the box.

It was too dark last night but I'll add a photo now!

Edit: they're from Murray's

Edit 2: is the gel something that they're normally given to eat while in the box or for once they arrive?

Last edited:
While in the box.
They do it for chicks not sure about older birds.
Well I'm an idiot. Reading their description of the gel item available for purchase it says that they recommend it for day-old chicks, and when they describe it it sounds like something that you give them once they arrive. I feel like such a jerk. Seriously if it's something for them to survive on during the trip why would they even make that a choice to say no on? Totally my own ignorance but geez.

I don't expect them to change color either. I doubt leg color was very high on your list when you got them. I'd just wait and see how they perform. The feathers look like they are supposed to. My guess is that the person that selects the breeders doesn't pay attention to leg color.

I'm not that impressed with that answer either. It did not answer the question.

Back
Top Bottom