Shipping a rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick7891, Sep 8, 2010.

1. chick7891

chick7891 New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Our beloved pet rooster has developed a nasty case of bumble-foot. I've got it under control, but I need to keep treating him twice a day- changing bandages etc. The problem? I'm going out of town for 6 weeks. The solution? Reston is going for a ride via USPS Express mail to my new location! Not the best solution mind you- just the most practical.

The question is what bird-box size do I use? There are two choices:

20" X 8" X 16 (L x W x H)

and

16" x 16" x 16"

He would fit (barely) in the first one but would have no room to turn around or flap his wings. In the second he would have plenty of room. If I was taking him myself I would opt for the roomier 16". But since he is being shipped it may *not* be a good idea for him to be loose in larger box?

Anyway- if anyone has sent or received adult chickens / peafowl / ducks / etc. through the mail and can offer assistance, I (and Reston) would be grateful.

Thanks!

2. chick7891

chick7891 New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Oh, I should clarify: I'm not going to ship him sick. I've got two weeks b4 I leave and expect him to be healed by then- if not I won't ship him.

3. grandparooster

grandparooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    The bigger box would most likely be better because he will have room to stretch, just put something rough in the bottom of the box that will stay still otherwise no matter what type of box he is in his feet will slide and he will go all over the place.

4. chick7891

chick7891 New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking a towel hot-glued to the bottom of the larger box might work out well. Something for him to hold onto w/o slipping around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by