Shipping adult bird concerns at the buyer end

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flitter, May 17, 2011.

1. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been considering buying a couple of cockerels or young roosters and having them shipped. What are the pros/cons of this. Do the birds suffer from much stress? Are they in good health at arrival? If the are quarantined 30 days (even with NPIP certification) is my flock really safe? How far away do they have to be kept to avoid air contact (different building but adjoining runs)? I know it's overnight mail but still... I wondered what has been buyer experience.

I'd really appreciate hearing from an experienced shipping receiver.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I haven't had any issues, but I also have made purchases from breeders I know and/or are reputable. Birds can suffer stress during shipping, it's even possible that they may catch something during transit. It's a chance you take. Weigh the pros and cons. Sometimes you can make arrangements to pick up the birds, meet half way, or at a show. There's really no way around the stress part, it's something that is going to happen when you need to transport them. As long as the birds are healthy and have been properly prepared for shipping, there usually isn't going to be an issue.

3. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sellers on BYC have a feedback option but buyers don't seem to leave it often... that would tell something about buying/shipping through BYC.

I know lots of chickens get shipped. I just don't know of any personally. Your opinion helps. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by