Shipping adult birds low temperatures

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carolynm, Jan 5, 2014.

1. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    I was wondering about shipping adult chickens this time of year? I've had several inquiries on a pair of chickens I have for sale but have told the interested parties I can't currently ship due to the cold nightime temperatures. I live in CO and the nighttime temps can be anywhere from 25 to 0 degrees or colder. Daytime temperatures are usually somewhere between 25-50.

My chickens are kept in a chicken tractor so are used to the cold temperatures.

What are your experiences shipping this time of year? Obviously I'd have to pay attention to temps all the way along the route. I was just wondering if I'm being overly cautious. I've read nothing below 35 but then got to thinking these birds have weathered sub-zero, but of course that was under the duress of shipping.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It depends more on what you are looking at as far as shipping goes. You want to look at the delays in shipping like right now. UPS and FEDEX are both having problems getting to all areas because of the storms/front so if you were shipping to those areas I would wait until after it cleared up because the longer the shipping the more stress there is. You don't want to ship on any days other then mon, tues, and wed because if you ship on other days it leaves you open to having them still waiting in shipping threw the weekend. Being full grown they need access to food and water quickly so I would say to not ship far (just my opinion). If you don't feel comfortable don't do it, the front will be over soon and they can have them then.

3. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    For adult birds I imagine you'd want guaranteed next day delivery? I see some places USPS doesn't guarantee overnight with express delivery. If the birds are used to cold is cold weather a problem so long as they get there in a day?

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Even with guaranteed some times there are things out of their control like the front that just hit. If they are adults I would take a few precautions like putting vasseline on their combs and wattles for below freezing temps because moisture can build up in the box and advise the new owners to feed and water as soon as they get them. The front is over now for most of the country so now would be a good time to try.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Remember that chickens put out a good amount of heat, so they'll be warmer in that box than you think. I would wait for a week when the weather is fairly quiet though.

Don't forget that they won't stay in USPS hands for the entire shipping process as FEDEX or other carrier handles the process between sorting facilities. So pay attention to not only your weather, the destination weather but also what's going on at the major hubs such as Memphis. I put canned corn and/or apples in the box in case they get bumped for dry ice (happened on several occasions).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by