Shipping adult chickens (Problems)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. L&Schickens

    L&Schickens Songster

    Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    My friend, who lives in Simi Valley CA, has been told by the city she has to get rid of her chickens. She is in the city limits but is in an area that allows farm animals, EXCEPT CHICKENS.[​IMG]

    So I told her to ship them to me. I shipped my chickens through USPS 2 years ago in the cardboard live animal shipping boxes from New Hampshire to Washington state. So, I told her how I did it. She tried to ship them out today and the lady at the counter told her they could not be shipped in those boxes, she had to get plastic or metal for them. The post lady also said that my chickens should have not been allowed to have been shipped in cardboard boxes.
    Have any of you shipped adult birds lately? Are they new rules on shipping them? Don't day old chicks still in cardboard?

    Thanks for you help ahead of time.
  2. BamaChicken

    BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

    Nov 14, 2007
    Horison Cardboard boxes are USPS approved with the filters in them. I have recently shipped
  3. L&Schickens

    L&Schickens Songster

    Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you. I found them on line and sent a link to my friend.
    Thanks again.
  4. pips&peeps

    pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

    Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Technically, the State Law is you cannot import birds that are not NPIP certified and CA is not a participating state. The State has not been able to enforce the law because they would have to monitor all incoming mail, but you never know....

    Here is a portion of the law:

    WAC 16-54-145 Washington State Register filings since 2003
    Poultry, including ratites — Importation and testing requirements.

    Import health requirements.

    (1) All poultry, including ratites, imported into Washington state must be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection.

    (a) USDA VS form 17-6 (Certificate for Poultry or Hatching Eggs for Export) will be accepted in lieu of the certificate of veterinary inspection.

    (b) For hatching eggs and baby poultry, a USDA NPIP VS form 9-3 (Report of Sales of Hatching Eggs, Chicks, and Poults) may be used in lieu of the certificate of veterinary inspection.

    (c) The certificate of veterinary inspection must include either the NPIP number or negative results of the required tests.

    (2) Poultry or hatching eggs must originate from flocks or areas not under state or federal restriction.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: