Shipping Adult Chickens Question

NPIP certification is required to ship birds anywhere in the US. Some states have additional requirements, you're best searching for the requirements of the state you're planning on shipping to.

I've shipped and received many birds, including into and out of CA, and not only have I never been asked for a NPIP certificate, Ive never even been told by the post office that papers are required... on either end!!
th.gif
I was blissfully ignorant.

Of course ignorance of the law is no excuse.
old.gif

Now, who would you even go to for a permit or who it would be shown it to at the other end?

Certainly not anyone at the post office. They have enough problems and Im not sure they even know that bio-filters are required.
Its hard enough for the post office to coordinate shipping and get the bird from point A to point B without a two day sightseeing tour of Memphis.
fl.gif

Yes, that was a little side trip my geese (2 adult and 2 juvenile Sebs) took on their way from TX to CA....
he.gif

Yes, I know that Memphis isnt actually on the way from TX to CA.
duc.gif
But the post office hands off the birds to FedEx now and their idea of Express Overnight mail is rather interesting.
tongue.png

Hmm.... I have never heard of a problem with FedEx/USPS transporting birds. The thing is -- Express shipping is guaranteed, so if it takes and extra two days, you will at least get a refund. I sent a box of birds to someone and at the destination the PO called the person I mailed them to to no avail -- at 5 pm they called me to tell me that it was closing time, the chickens had not been picked up and asked permission to open the box and feed and water the chickens!

Just buy a Horizon bio-box and you'll be fine. I've shipped dozens of chickens throughout the US via the USPS without any issue or certificate. Just put your bird in the box, drop it off at the PO and pay for Express shipping. I was so impressed with the Horizon boxes that I became distibutor! You can buy through me: www.crazykfarm.com or directly from Horizon. I checked the US PO requirements, by the way, and there is no health or other certificate necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom