Shipping Adult Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Picco, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'd like to get everyone's opinion on this. I have two pairs of partridge penedesencas that I am selling and have someone interested. I'm in NY and they are in NC. Shipping makes me so nervous. I'm not even sure how to do it. Please help me make the decision.

How do I ship (where to get boxes, USPS, UPS, Fedex)?

How much does it cost?

Have you had luck/bad luck with shipping?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It should not be a problem.

Call your post office to see if they will ship the birds TO and FROM the destinations you are wanting to ship the bird to. If you can get a time frame and a date, all is well and you can prep your birds for shipping.

You can get shipping boxes on Eggbid auctions and sometimes in rare cases, post office might have them. Be sure to get with filtered holes...its a requirement NOW with the USPS. Horizon also carries those boxes.

Depending on the weight of your bird and how far it is, my shipping from Illinois to NY cost about forty five dollars three years ago. They got there in two days.

So far, I had good luck in shipping even my own post office likes to give me a hard time not accepting birds but had to go to the next town to ship and no problems there.

When you prep your bird, if it is a full sized adult, one box will suffice...add cored apples, and grapes for their trip. Add fruits more than you think they would need even the post office says overnight, give fruits that would supply them for a three day in box. Most of the time the birds will be quiet and snooze most of the time.

I had a quad of Hamburg Bantams from MI to IL in five days, they were thirsty and hungry but they had food in there to supplement. Its rare for those birds to be on the road for so long but the breeder was in the upper part of MI so it was so much transfers going on and it cost me over sixty five dollars in shipping....so you can see how difficult the post office tries to deliver the birds on time. It would have been better if they would have flown into Chicago and then on to Peoria but they took the ground trip instead.

I woul dnot hestitate to try to ship birds. I was nervous at first and it became easy so far and had good luck with shipping birds in good condition on my end as well as the buyer's end.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I've decided not to ship. Its costly and its a hassle. I'm still to nervous to ship adults, even chicks. I will still ship eggs though. Thanks EweSheep for your advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by