shipping adult hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenbottom, Aug 24, 2010.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well i want to ship three adult hens to mississippi (39462) from florida (32147) um i have never shipped any live birds so my questions are how would i do this? and what is the best to do it with like ups or just my post office? and how would i calculate the price? i am moving and they can not go on the bus with me so im trying to ship them before i leave. i do have someone who is going to pick them up i just dont know how i would even begin to do this. ive got 2 months to figure out and i need some help please. and sorry mods if i put this in the wrong section please move it if i did. thank you so much in advance

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    All righty,

First you need to get a bio-secure shipping box. A good place is here: http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_134&products_id=668&zenid=pj4p7t32qp11m346kos8dg2jl7

You
    will then package up the birds and bring them to a post office that will accept live shipments. (You need to check the other end's post office to make sure they accept live shipm. too, otherwise they will throw them away and you'll get a note saying'Package perished')

You HAVE to ship Express mail so they will get there fast enough, and put an apple or two in there for nourishment and water.

ON a side note, you should be NPIP certified to ship birds between states.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by