1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping an adult bird?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rivka, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Rivka

Rivka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    I am in Texas...daughter is in PA. I need to ship a bird to her that is just too loud for our stealth operation.
    But I can't decipher various posts/inx.

Question:
    Can I ship via Fed X? If so how( their website is not helpful)
    Do I have to have a special container?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Only ship when it is lower than 90 degrees, for a box and shipping it shouldn't be much more than 35-40 dollars. But that really depends on the weight, big birds cost more than bantams/normal sized birds but you can guarantee it will run 35-40 easily. Maybe even 50 now..

Also make sure your daughter can accept live birds, other than that typically you just have to say "I want these shipped express 2 day mail."

ETA: some people like to put a apple/water melon slice in the box as well, helps a little..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    Only the postal service ships live birds; actually a lot of their air cargo is shipped via Fed-Ex but you still have to start at the post office. You should request express and ask the post office of the expected travel time. Sometimes it is expedient to have the recipient pick up at a nearby larger town. I suggest getting the direct phone numbers for the post offices before shipping. Cutler and many others sell large specially made boxes to ship adult birds.

5. Rivka

Rivka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I am trying my Freecycle group. I really hate to ship my gal in a box for 2 days. We just can't keep her anymore cause she is so loud, I can't catch her when it is time to go back in the coop and today she escaped and I was so terrified she would get hurt. So time to rehome...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by