Shipping and Heritage Preservation

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MadeInUSA, Jul 22, 2010.

1. MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    Does it fit here? Maybe not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here.
    I'm finally getting ready to import birds for my own pleasure into the USA. Looks like a lot of people here really love their birds and I'm all up for heritage breeds (preservation!). Please let me know your "heritage" animal of choice and why you like them so much as well as the good, bad, ugly and what you love, hate and can put up with! I'm currently really interested in some heritage pigs, maybe some cattle in the future.

**I'm currently a big on Dorkings, Sussexes and Jungle Fowl. Should be importing some in a short time to add to my bloodlines [​IMG] Wondering if I should add any piggies in the game! Let me know!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, for me Heritage means American Heritage... IE the breeds that were originally brought over and have fought to survive and evolve in this wilderness we call home... so importing Japanese, French, etc would kinda defeat the purpose. Likewise for someone in France... if they wanted Heritage they wouldn't import Araucana or Japanese, they'd raise Marans. Etc.

I'd love to have some Delawares because of that. And even Ameraucana, as that is a breed, Araucana, that Americans have taken and made their own. But on the same note I'd love to have some Jersey Giants as a DP (Del's are DP too) and even some Marans, though those are French and as far as I know I've not a drop of French blood.

Take that with a grain of salt though, as I'm a total noob AND my Someday Plans are so sketchy that even my pencil runs away.

3. MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    I suppose both and a couple other "near extinct" (endangered, etc.) breed I'd love to help preserve (whether originally here or not), but I am interested in American breeds. Plus, I am seeking out bloodlines that aren't so "mixed" like here in the USA. A lot of individuals mix things and it makes me nervous to purchase birds unless it is from the higher quality individual animals or breeders. That way I can myself have hand in the preservation and try to do things the right way [​IMG] I am by no means "perfect" and I make my own mistakes as much as I dislike to admit it [​IMG]

Delawares and the Reds (Rhodes and New Hamps and Buckeyes) are about the only American breeds I just cannot keep my eyes off, but I'm sure there are others I'm missing!

I like the abilities of the hybrids, but you have to love the old breeds that produced these new breeds. I think as Americans or even as a people, we have forgotten that the best things often involve patience!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that if you want to concentrate on "heritage" breeds you are defeating the purpose by importing them. To me heritage means breeds that were developed here in the US.

If you think American breeders are the only ones who mix different breeds and that other countries birds are any "purer" than ours are you are sorely mistaken. Importing does not guarentee that you are getting pure lines.

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

^ Too true! (To Made)

RIR, NHR, Dels, Ameraucana, Jerseys all great American breeds. You can check Henderson's Breed Chart, that gives an idea of how common a breed is if that helps.

Honestly I would LOVE to have white leghorns, white marans, white Ameraucanas and Dels just so I can point out blatantly that all white chickens do NOT produce all white eggs (white, chocolate, blue and light brown respectively)... but I'm weird that way... sometimes even putting something right under someone's nose isn't going to open their eyes... but it would open the eyes of SOME and that would make it worth it.

Again though, I'm a total noob and a weirdo idealist to boot.

Edit to make sure ^ was to Made... though I agree with the other too.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by