1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping birds on Thursday?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 8, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I know the P.O. accepts birds for shipping on Thursdays, I'm just wondering if anyone has done it? I wasn't able to send the 2 button boys to CA Monday, we'd gotten some snow which made it near impossible for us to get out of our road. Tuesday and today were so stinking cold that I didn't want to risk it (plus I was at the doctor's Tuesday with my son when I would have had to be packing buttons). I had planned on just sending them next Monday, but it's supposed to be a high of 18*??? Tuesday is supposed to be 26*??

Tomorrow (Thursday) is supposed to be 40*, Friday 48*, and Saturday 49*, then the end of next week is again supposed to warm up.

I have small heat packs I could put in the box with them, but I think shipping anything when it's that cold is just dumb. No amount of heat packs would keep them warm enough.

I've not shipped many birds, but the ones I have shipped have taken no more than 2 days (example: ship Wednesday afternoon, arrival Friday morning). Birds I've had shipped to me have all taken 2 days save for one box that came from MD last winter.

So I'm thinking they should be okay to send? I just need some reassurance I guess.

Next week's weather is in the upper 30's and low 40's after Wednesday, but that would still be late in the week.

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I shipped some on Thursday....then had to pick them back up Friday..told me they had change any being shipped by Air . Only air shipments(live birds) Mon. thru Wed.

So depends on how they ship, where they are going. My Birds are all outside without heat , so shipping in the cold is warmer in the box. I not sure I would ship birds that have been in a heated area.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    These are buttons, so they have to be in a heated area.

But they do okay in lower temps for a little while, and I can always section the box and cover the holes more to make them 'snuggle'.

My P.O. said they accept lives Mon-Thurs, otherwise I wouldn't bother asking [​IMG]

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Not sure I would ship them in this temp.. Yes the little buttons would need to be warm...sorry never really shipped them. My PO will take live shippment only M thru W...but sure that all are not the same. Myself I only ship M or Tue. just in case they get misplaced.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Some post offices are closed on Saturday, so that is something to consider on the receivers end. I personally wouldn't do it.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Wouldnt... This Time Of Yr (x-mas Holidays) I Wont Ship Live Birds Any Days But Monday Or Tuesday... Too Much Chance Of Them Getting Bogged Down Enroute And Not Making It Before Po Closes On Saturday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by