shipping boxes?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mhwc56, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm trying to find the best /best priced quail shipping box where i don't have to purchase a dozen at a time. i only need a couple . anyone have a recommendation?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Usually you have to purchase a bunch. I am trying to find some myself.

3. mhwc56

Quote:ahhhh! i bought 1 from Horizon the end of last year....what a pain...LOL

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    BoxesforBirds.com

They work a charm for quail, each individual compartment is sized perfect for one to two quail! Plus the 8 bird box means you have 8 birds for about 4 birds shipping cost.

Needless to say I love them!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I should have some of the Horizon boxes by the end of the week. I ordered 5 from one place (all they had), then 12 more from another place. Not sure if I'd have enough, I ordered 20 more from another place. Sounds crazy, but I figured I could always resell them [​IMG]

Not sure how many extra I'll have, but I'm sure I can send you a few if you need them. Send me a PM if you're interested.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Those boxes are entirely too expensive and it is just as easy to make dividers for the horizon boxes. You can ship 8 coturnix in a single nest box, much cheaper than using the 8-bird box.

7. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:COULD YOU USE THE LARGER PRIORITY BOXES FROM THE POST OFFICE?

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:COULD YOU USE THE LARGER PRIORITY BOXES FROM THE POST OFFICE?

No. First off, live birds (other than chicks less than 24 hours old at shipping time) have to be shipped express. Second, the boxes have to be tested for a certain strength/weight. Third, they need to be properly ventilated and the vent holes have to have bio-filters on them.

Horizon and Boxesforbirds are the only places that make USPS approved boxes for shipping live birds that I know of.

9. mhwc56

Thanks Shelley [​IMG]

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Some people on eBay are selling the chick boxes or single stall horizon boxes last time I checked. I use the horizon single stall boxes to ship my quail. Martha found out you need to order three min in a package? Is that correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by