1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shipping Charges???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

What does everyone charge for shipping on eggs?

6 eggs?

12 eggs?

I am trying to decide whether or not to do a FLAT RATE box or whether to just charge a flat rate?

Thanks!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just charge flat rate. By the time I pack the eggs, and the paypal fees get taken out it works out fine.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

So what if you ship 6 bantam eggs out and then someone else orders 6 Sebbie eggs? I used to include shipping in the price of the eggs ($18.00 or so for 1/2 dozen, shipped) but there were times where shipping would be $12.95 and I'd be losing money by the time I bubble wrapped everything, collected the eggs, etc.

I think that I may want to do $10 or $12 as a flat rate....

4. SundownWaterfowl

I charge flate rate, I think its $9.30 now for bantam chicken eggs, and $12.95 i think it is, for goose and large breed chicken eggs. I will have to check the shipping prices again in the spring and then adjust if need be.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh, okay--I see what you're saying. WIth the increase in shipping fees last year, I was forced to go from $10 to $12.95 and I only had one guy complain that was too high...but by the time I factor in collecting the eggs, bubble wrap, etc I was about breaking even. I have never made money on shipping. [​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I charge 10.00 to ship 5 peafowl eggs. Shipped to AK and my cost was 12.00, but most are around 9.00. I dont try to make money on the shipping. Cost of packing material and shipping cost avg. about 10.00. Have not had any brokens eggs in the last 3 years.

I do guarantee my eggs will be recieved unbroken. (one of the few ebay sellers)

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Oh, okay--I see what you're saying. WIth the increase in shipping fees last year, I was forced to go from $10 to $12.95 and I only had one guy complain that was too high...but by the time I factor in collecting the eggs, bubble wrap, etc I was about breaking even. I have never made money on shipping. [​IMG]

I know. Last year I sold some eggs on ebay. They left me positive feedback, then at the end they put shipping was too high. Then they should have not bought the eggs. You have to factor in collecting the eggs, packing materials (bubble wrap, packing tape), then the gas to take them to the post office. I just hope that they dont raise the prices again.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

I know. Last year I sold some eggs on ebay. They left me positive feedback, then at the end they put shipping was too high. Then they should have not bought the eggs. You have to factor in collecting the eggs, packing materials (bubble wrap, packing tape), then the gas to take them to the post office. I just hope that they dont raise the prices again.

Yeah--it's getting pretty bad...it is a 40 mile round trip for me to the post office (from my home) and they are only open on weekdays....so I have to take my lunch hour to go down & stand in line...on top of all of the other stuff involved in shipping eggs. I saw a lady last year on eggbid that charged a $2.00 "handling fee" for collecting & marking the eggs! [​IMG]

9. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I charge between $8.00 to $12.00 depending how many eggs and if there bantam or large fowl.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by