Shipping chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BluffCountryShepherdess, Sep 26, 2009.

1. BluffCountryShepherdess

BluffCountryShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Houston, MN
    Where can I find information on shipping chickens through the post office? Do I get the boxes from the PO or is there someplace else that sells them? Do I have to take the box/chickens to an airport or can I drop them at the PO?

Thanks for any help!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    There's different places online that sells the boxes. BOX has to be approved by the PO. You take them to the PO and they deliver them.

3. BluffCountryShepherdess

Jul 13, 2009
    Houston, MN
    Thanks Cammy!

I've never shipped before (obviously!) but I've had birds shipped to me. In both cases, I know that the shipper took the birds to the airport. It would be MUCH easier if I can just take the box with the birds to the local Post Office!

I'll look on-line for boxes...

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Wait...you can ship a GROWN chicken through the mail? [​IMG] Now I wonder why I didn't realize that?

I've got day old chicks in the mail, but I've never thought about putting a 12lb rooster in a box and slapping a postage stamp on him [​IMG]

5. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    You don't take them to your local post office. They should go to your main post office. It will save them a days travail. There is information on the http://www.usps.com site. There is a number that you are suposed to call but I don't think anyone does it. Just take them to you main post office & put some apples or something that holds moisture in there box to help them to there destination.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. BluffCountryShepherdess

Jul 13, 2009
    Houston, MN
    THANK YOU! That's still much better than having to take them to the Airport!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by